HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Prelude (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Electrical Genius's ANYWHERE?!?! (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15951)

Si Princess 06-12-2003 11:12 AM

Electrical Genius's ANYWHERE?!?!

Hey guys. Here's a good one for yah. About 5 months ago my 92 prelude just decided it got tired and didnt feel like starting one day. So I charged it but it wouldn't hold the charge. Now before you say "Wow this girl is absolutely retarded she obviously needs an alternator" HA youre wrong. I bought a new alternator, strapped it in, took the old one to have it tested and they said it was good, and something was STILL not holding the charge. So I thought to myself, yah know I mine as well just take it to Honda just to see what they say. But they are a bunch of idiots. They tell me I need a new BATTERY. They say "well that's where we're going to start right now, I mean its obvious you need a new one, it's reading bad." OBVIOUSLY ITS READING BAD IF ITS DEAD BECAUSE SOMETHING WONT HOLD THE CHARGE. So after they give me a new battery and my car dies 2 days later and I get a free battery out of it because I told them they were wrong in the first place they tell me I need an ECU. So I snipe one off ebay, toss it in and it works GREAT. For about 2 ½ months actually. Now all of a sudden it's doin the same thing. God help me. If I had full insurance this thing would be melted already. SOMEBODY HELP ME! :mad:

ebpda9 06-12-2003 12:08 PM

sounds like you have a short someplace, or some ignition switch problems, that won't shut the entire electrical circuit. i's just a wild guess, and not rying to look like a smart ass

Si Princess 06-12-2003 12:51 PM

I thought maybe I had a loose ground somewhere, maybe a fuse shorted out or something. I ripped that thing apart with my fathers friend who is an electrician. We couldnt find a damnnnn thing. I have nothing better to do with my time on this gorgeous sunny day in 80 degree weather, I'm gonna rip it apart again. Thanks for the info ;)

ebpda9 06-12-2003 03:50 PM

heh, check with you insurace co first, but i know for my policy i have fire and flood insurance. you didn't hear this from me aight ? ;)

blind34_1 06-12-2003 03:55 PM

yeah, sounds like an intermittent short. Messing around with the ECU and battery changed something, so I would concentrate on that side of the car. Look for worn insulation on wires. (Do you have wires going through the firewall?...check them)

Si Princess 06-12-2003 04:47 PM

So it's about 85 degrees and I've been in my driveway all god damn day checking every god damn wire in my car. At least Hondas dont have a lot of them :o I can't find a single thing wrong. I hooked up my battery tester and it said I was charging, so I drove around for a bit, came back, hooked it up and it said it wasnt charging, so i unplugged the alternator and plugged it back in (all while the car is still on) and it said it was charging again. WHAT THE HELL!?!?

cgabldroha 11-07-2003 11:47 PM

Just out of curiousity, did you ever get this problem solved? I'm havnig a very similar situation on my 88 prelude Si...

pimpinprelude 11-08-2003 08:44 AM

"Just out of curiousity, did you ever get this problem solved? I'm havnig a very similar situation on my 88 prelude Si..." yea i was too.. but it was just me being a retard.. when i took the cd player out, i dident wire nut the ends of the wires.. so it was just draining the battery...

Shot 2 Hel 11-22-2003 12:59 PM

might just be me but it might be the starter, but knowing my previous guesses its probably wrong

Shot 2 Hel 11-22-2003 01:00 PM

or could be a shitty fuse somewhere