HSTuners

HSTuners (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Civic/Del Sol (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Duel Exhaust (http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31)

Redline 08-28-2001 05:59 AM

Duel Exhaust

I have a 99 Civic and was curious to how I would go about turning my single stock exhaust into duel exhaust. I have seen several civics with this done. Does anyone have any answers or suggestions?

GloblCtzn 08-29-2001 02:33 PM

seriously, save your money for something else. There is two ways to do a "dual exaust" on civic. 1. You could have a Y pipe after the cat to split it into the two different mufflers. This is a waste of time as it will rob alot of your low-end touqe due to loosing backpressure, and the gains on the high end won't be anymore than a quality cat back such as a greddy or thermal.
2nd way is to basicaly have a dummy muffler on one side and all the exaust is still routed through one muffler. This is only for show and is a waste of time IMO. Its your money man, but depending on what your going for with your civic it probably is'nt worth it, expecialy if you are really going for performance and not looks. More is not always better, save it for a Greddy EVO or P.E

Peace

thermal 08-29-2001 10:09 PM

what other mods do u have?
like Glob said, i would save the money for something else. a dual exhaust on a 99 civic will drop your power and torque. u will lose plenty of your "pick-up" on the lower to middle RPM band. a dual set-up can cost u close to $1000, with maybe a 5 hp gain on a decent tuning OR just lose power due to back pressure loss. u have to consider mounting prices too. it's best to have a higher flowing exhaust system with a turbo set-up........keep us posted.

abswainer 08-29-2001 10:51 PM

ok this question always gets me going. yes its possible to install a Y at the cat and still get the same power output

now before i get jumped by everybody let me explain

in order to get backpressure and therefore torque some restriction is required. normally any NA tuned car will not want to exceed a 2 1/4" pipe. more for a forced induction application however its not absolutely necessary.

the diameter of the pipe is not as important as the volume of gases it transports. what i am trying to say is that if you have 2" pipe and you split it into two 2" pipes then your moving more volume therefore creating less backpressure.

so if you want the same power from two pipes that you had with one pipe and therefore the same backpress you need the volume of gas to be the same.

before you run out and get two 1" pipes realize that two 1" pipes have a greater volume than one 2" pipe.

i can't for the life of me remember the equation but i do remember that the two pipes need to be approx. 77% the size of the single pipe.

so now you have two pipes out the back making the same power and costing about twice the money and almost twice the weight.

so the real question is, do you want to go through all that trouble for more weight which leads to less performance. if the look is that important just add a dumby pipe on the other side.

MrCLoWnY 08-30-2001 05:30 PM

hey sometimes its all about the LooKs to get the ladies. haha

thermal 08-31-2001 06:35 PM

ha ha ha ha ha.....my boy CLoWny is in da howse!...stick around bro. ...let's rock this place up!

MrCLoWnY 08-31-2001 08:56 PM

AFFIRMITIVE!

VN-Tec 09-03-2001 12:25 AM

Dual Exhaust Robs power due to less Back Pressure.. But if your running anything thats making your engine breathe easier.. Or Boosting it, It exhales more so Y Piping done to it wouldnt be so bad.. But ur better off leaving it alone..

MrCLoWnY 09-03-2001 12:37 AM

I think a dual exhaust is unnecessary unless you wanna get the look. Like people has said you will lose power with the dual exhaust. I think you should just consider getting a Greddy or other cat back exhaust systems.

VSM Ex 99' 09-04-2001 06:56 PM

exactly what every one else said....and first of all....why do u want it...second....i doubt that u can run a 1" pipe...cause u would have to make it bigger to get to the muffler right? so ud have MORE welds which disturbs flow of air....third....if u really want it..then by a "dummy" and just hook it up....for shows....u know....

2000Pimpinex 09-05-2001 09:05 PM

Personally I wouldn't go dual cause your going to loose low end torque. With a honda, we only get so much to begin with and can't afford to loose any more. To answer your question, the easiest way is to get a Y pipe and there you go. From the Y you have 2 exhausts.

BlackDeuceCoupe 09-13-2001 03:49 AM

Re: Duel Exhaust

Quote:

Originally posted by Redline
I have a 99 Civic and was curious to how I would go about turning my single stock exhaust into duel exhaust. I have seen several civics with this done. Does anyone have any answers or suggestions?
It all depends on if you want to go the performance route, or the show route. While "duel" [sic] exhausts MAY look better, it won't do a thing for your performance. I say MAY, because beauty is in the eye... you know???

I wanted performance, looks and sound and went the Tenzo R axle-back route. Here are some pics:

This is called a 'Tenzo R Venturi Bolt On Rear Section.' It's lighter than the stock muff, looks better, sounds better, is less restrictive, won't void your warranty, and took 45 minutes to install. It lists for 575 bones, but I picked it up for 205 at Showcase Honda in Dooperville Arizona. :D