PDA

View Full Version : Painting interior

2000Pimpinex
09-03-2001, 05:06 PM
Anyone have any tips as to painting the vents and other interior pieces.

BiancaCivic21
09-03-2001, 11:52 PM
I dont recommend painting interior since its scratches...chips...whatever...and then looks like crap, but if youre gonna do it anyways make sure you use paint that is made for interiors. Paint that is supposed to bond to plastic. Also you wanna make sure that you thoroughly clean the surface, and on some extra smooth or shiny plastics, you may even need to scuff the surface a bit.

azn_nite_ryder
09-04-2001, 12:58 AM
painting the interior is a very cost effective way of changing the look inside... i personally say go for it.... i'll post my pics up soon..
i have to disagree with bianca on this one... yes they do scratch and yes they do chip but if you take precaution and care it wont happen....
all you need is alcohol to remove all oil and dirt from the surface, paint ( i used truck paint it worked wonders), and patience.... it will look great in the end... the time used will pay off

2000Pimpinex
09-04-2001, 06:49 PM
Hey, definately post pics when you can. I want to see how it looks. I am going for blue on the interior with my car being silver.

extasy
09-19-2001, 08:52 AM
if you clean them well and use flexagent (bond-aid or bulldog) you'll be fine and if you clearcoat it it will hold up.

grumblemarc
09-22-2001, 01:57 PM
I pulled ALL the plastic pieces, washed them thoroughly with regular dish soap and painted them red with Krylon. Using several coats (letting each coat dry before applying the next) I was able to build up a nice smooth and slick look to them. Once dry I applied a coat of clear for protection. Did this on a Civ I once owned and now with tmy Lude. No chipping whatsoever. Looks totally aftermarket and people have actually paid me to do their cars.

2000Pimpinex
09-22-2001, 03:28 PM
When I get a day off work later this week, I'm going to paint a few pieces. Hopefully, it will turn out good. My interior is dull except for the shift boot and knob. I think this will add some spark to my interior.

grumblemarc
09-22-2001, 05:27 PM
I also pulled the door panels off and replaced the fabric on them with red vinyl. Did the same for the armrest and with what was left over I did the shift boot too. Looks pretty tight if I do say so myself.

2000Pimpinex
09-22-2001, 05:32 PM
Post some pics so we can see your skills.

grumblemarc
09-22-2001, 10:46 PM
Will do as soon as I can get them taken. I'll snap some shots tomorrow when it lightens up. Been wanting to for a while now and now I have an excuse. Wife calls that car my other mistress.

azn_nite_ryder
09-23-2001, 07:53 PM
:D :D :D Pwahahaha.. thats funny cuz everyone always say to me that there will always be 2 girls in my life.... first my CAR!!! then my gf... hehehe... good thing she aint reading this...LOL... hehehe :D

Whtehnda93DXSdn
11-27-2001, 10:37 PM
I painted my dash and door panels...

As long as you have patience and time it's a cost effetive way to go. if you have the $ then Vinyl sure does look good.

as long as you prep the surfces well (wash,use a bonding aid bulldog or something)
primer and then paint..Paint in light even coats

once dried clear and then let dry thoroughly before reapplying...

Hope this helps a little....:)

OneDopeTeg
11-28-2001, 01:13 AM
my tip: dont do it...unless you are 100% sure that you like the color....sure you can change it back but it will cost time and perhaps money....just my 2 pence....and thats from experience. :)

STDHatchback91
12-09-2001, 08:56 PM
Painting the interior works good, and if you do it right you can't even tell it's painted. You need to clean it with rubing alcohol first it cleans it the best. Don't wipe it off with a rag or towels tho, it'll leave dust, the alcohol will dry very quickly and NO primer. Use SEM vinyl paint, it's about $8 a can, but it's worth it. It's flexible and doesn't chip or scratch easy. We did the whole interior of my buddy's camry with 6 cans. I'm planning on doin mine eventually. I'll post up pics of his when i get them scanned. Peace
-Deze-

grumblemarc
02-04-2002, 06:41 PM
but I'm a busy man. My work in progress. Note the JDM steering wheel prior to mounting cruise control. By the time you read this though I'll have a matching aftermarket red/black one. Red Sparco drivers side on the way. Sorry you can't see it but the rear deck is red vinyl with a Honda "H" mounted in the middle. SUH-weeeet!

http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/lig/g/r/grmblmrc/P2010016.JPG
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/lig/g/r/grmblmrc/P2010018.JPG
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/lig/g/r/grmblmrc/P2010019.JPG
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/lig/g/r/grmblmrc/P2020020.JPG

Azkikr111
03-05-2002, 08:46 PM
ugh man...vacuum out your carpets :-P (sorry, its the only thing i found that i didnt like with your prelude) :) everything else if frickin tight dude! im impressed...you did it yourself?

BrandonClaps
03-06-2002, 08:56 AM
http://www.8op.com/s10xtreme/mytruck.html

i painted my truck stuff, but won't paint my cars stuff ;x

slowEJ6
03-18-2002, 07:26 PM
i just finished painting every single panel in my car yesterday, yeah EVERY SINGLE PANEL. gonna do the dash when my car comes back from the shop. yup thats right, none of this accent painting stuff....painted every bit of EACH AND EVERY PANEL/PILLAR ARM/CONSOLE/GLOVEBOX. it was fun. it looks so damn good too.

azn_nite_ryder
03-19-2002, 11:28 PM
so when are you gonna post up some pics to show us?? what did you use to paint? spray can?

Civicfrenzy
03-27-2002, 11:54 PM
yea i know im a little late on this one, but is it hard removing the panels to paint em?? and telling me how to do it would br great too. i have a 96 civic

midjjj
03-28-2002, 08:37 PM
I hadn't thought of this and it sounds and looks really damn cool. Y'all use spray paint, or normal brush on paint? I would really hate to screw this up!!!! Thanks cats!:cool:

ebpda9
03-28-2002, 09:12 PM
use vinyl spray paint.

azn_nite_ryder
03-29-2002, 02:59 AM
usually any spray can will do well for you... just have to be patient:yes:

slowEJ6
03-30-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by azn_nite_ryder
so when are you gonna post up some pics to show us?? what did you use to paint? spray can?

i have pics, if you have AIM...check my profile (hybrid3do0rcx) and follow the webshots link.....pics can be seen there.
yup i used spray paint and some sandpaper.....

grumblemarc
03-31-2002, 07:42 AM
Check this thread.
http://hondastyle.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1364
Haven't been here in a while. Yes I MUST agree I needed to vacuum the carpet something fierce but I JUST got a digital camera that day so I was excited. Soon after this I will have gotten RED carpet and self made diamond plate aluminum floor mats!

yelizardking
04-05-2002, 02:32 AM
dude that shizt looks bad ass! hat's off to you, how long did it take you again?

grumblemarc
04-09-2002, 07:12 AM
The painting took about 2-3 hours. The drying of the paint I let happen as little as 1 day (24 hours) and as long as 1 week (when I didn't feel like messing with the installation.)

ShEaNy
04-10-2002, 08:05 AM
thats pretty nice man me and my freind are doing that to his 85 civic 4 door. ya right there u might laugh but its looking good painted the interior dash thingy between the seats where the ebrake and shifter is silver.. and it looks great. going to rip apart everything soon.. hehe i love ripping stuff up.. :yes: