PDA

View Full Version : very hard to shift out of park

snowfire79
11-26-2002, 11:20 PM
this one baffles me. of course i'm doing all the obvious, you know like pushing the brake in and all that, and i am also on a flat surface, not any incline at all. this only happens when i am getting into my car to go somewhere. after i get going its fine. no other gears are hard to shift into or out of. please just let me know any suggestions. thanks.

ShEaNy
11-27-2002, 12:30 AM
my cars shifter is sticky like that too...tough to go from park to anything...prolly just needs some grease or a cable is to tight...im not to sure either..

ebpda9
11-27-2002, 06:29 AM
it's the shifter cable. I had that one replaced 2 years ago when i had the same problem. i think it was 200

ShEaNy
11-27-2002, 01:13 PM
200$!! OUCH can they just fix it tighten it or something or loosen it? for cheaper...;(

ebpda9
11-27-2002, 08:57 PM
i don't think so. it's like a wire cable (same as the ones in the brakes of a bike) and when of the wires pop out will do that

ShEaNy
11-28-2002, 12:34 AM
arghh....*looks at empty wallet* whatever i can live with putting a bit more pressure to shift outa park....;)

Greasemonkey75
12-03-2002, 02:26 PM
Before the cable is condemed. Check that there is no like coffiee spilled into the shifter itself, soft drinks as well will make the shifter "sticky" in park. you will just need to clean out the shifter assy. Also if your not already doing it when parking pull the e-brake let off the foot brake with the shifter in N let the car settle/shift. then put the shifter in P. If all that doesnt fix it then it maybe the cable. ;) just my 2cents