PDA

View Full Version : backfiring

blind34_1
11-18-2002, 01:15 PM
yep my car will backfire on average twice in a fifteen-twenty minute trip. I just recently had timing belt changed, and fuel filter. After I got the timing belt changed, my car felt like its slower, like it takes more gas to go. It doesn't have the get-up it used to have. Does this mean that maybe a belt is too tight? or is it just the newness of the timing belt? could the filter be suspect?
maybe injectors? I don't know. I want to come back to my mechanic and tell them whats wrong.

ebpda9
11-18-2002, 01:21 PM
go and tell him to redo the timing.

ChrisCantSkate
11-18-2002, 02:28 PM
yeah... your running really rich, thats whats causing the backfire

blind34_1
11-18-2002, 10:40 PM
Today I cleaned out my spark plugs, just to be sure it wasn't something simple, and reset my ecu. As I was letting the car run as it reset, I come back out and there is this nasty rattle/scraping noise. It doesn't affect the performance of the car, cause I drove it down to the mechanics and it ran fine. no backfiring either.

I let him drive it, and of course no backfiring, but it made the scraping noise and he didnt know exactly what it was. He told me to bring it in sometime this week and they'll redo the timing to make sure. After I drove back home and parked it for a good 45 minutes it wouldn't run. it would start then die. After 4 tries it ran. what the hell?

And I learned another interesting tidbit of info. The little screw that worked its way out of the ignition rotor thingy inside the distrib cap? THEY NEVER FOUND IT. So it could be runnin around in there causin all sorts of havoc.

So tomorrow I'm gonna try to bring it in to em, and once they fix that problem, I'm gonna have em fix my tie rods and ball joints. they're all messed up too.

Man, I was hoping to save money for performance parts over winter, not paying for repairs! This sucks!

ShEaNy
11-20-2002, 11:08 AM
i feel ya bro...;( ;( :o udont even wanna know the cost of my new trunk painted....

blind34_1
11-20-2002, 01:01 PM
Life is good again! My friend who has the same car as me has an idea of what the problem is. He also said that if we can't fix it, he knows a guy at the Retail Honda shop that'll fix stuff for like 20 bucks on the side(not including parts) WOOT!

ebpda9
11-20-2002, 01:25 PM
so what's the problem ?

blind34_1
11-20-2002, 01:48 PM
He suspects that the thing inside the distrib cap (the rotor?) might be installed backwards. He said he had this problem, and he experienced a performance drop similar to mine.

ebpda9
11-21-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by blind34_1
He suspects that the thing inside the distrib cap (the rotor?) might be installed backwards. He said he had this problem, and he experienced a performance drop similar to mine. what was he smoking ? i wanna see a rotor installed backwards :crazy:

blind34_1
11-21-2002, 07:55 PM
no no no, I know what he means. It would make sense. I probably have no I idea what I'm talking about. This is out of my area.

We were supposed to do it today, but the weather was awful, of course. I'm gonna shoot for saturday.

blind34_1
11-23-2002, 03:22 PM
We got rid of the noise! It was the AC belt. I'm guessing it was too tight, so we just took it off. I still have a performance drop, and my friend thinks I need a valve adjustment. He's going to talk to his Honda friend and see when he can do it.

the rotor was installed correctly. He was thinking that maybe it was installed wrong, like flip[ped 180 degrees the other way. Biut that would only make sense if the car wasnt running correctly.