PDA

View Full Version : killer cams.

dreg1320lab
11-07-2002, 05:33 PM
okay i want to get these cam shafts that arent inteded for street use but of course i still Plan on driving my car normaily i was woundering can it mess w/my engine or is that not intended for street use all a bunch of b/s;)

ebpda9
11-07-2002, 06:15 PM
hmm moving to high performance

2ndGenTeg
11-07-2002, 09:24 PM
You get ZERO low end power. These cams only produce useable power from about 5000 RPM +, and are NOT streetable.

For streetable power that still kicks ass on the strip, look into the Toda Spec B or C or the Jun Stage 2 or 3.

JDMB16
11-12-2002, 04:20 PM
If you want your car cutting off everytime at idle then go right ahead. These are NOT streetable cams

ChrisCantSkate
11-12-2002, 09:43 PM
yeah... they say not for street use for a reason. they will be all high end power, and your low end is going to be horrible. also with cams like that, you need a very upgraded head for the amount of lift produced from those cams

78 monte
11-27-2002, 12:13 AM
Basically the longer the duration specs the higher up the rpm range will be.The higher the rpm range the less low end torque you have like said above.Also having no low end can cause you to gain ET at the track.
In rear wheel drive cars you have the option of crutching a large cam with a taller rear gear.But then you get into problems such as spinning 3500rpm at 30mph.
Another problem is too low a compression.Large cams with long duration cause cylinder pressure to bleed off.Too low a compression ratio you can't burn the fuel good enough causeing cylinder wash out and glazing the cylinder bore.So you'll end up with a smoking,rough idleing,no off the line power pig.
It seems to me that import cams are of limited selection.So I personally would have a cam custom ground by a company.Call there rep. tell him every last detail of your car.Get info on gear ratio,tranny gear ratios,Compression,valve size,head flow #s if you can find um etc...Then have that cam ground.Also be realistic in regards to what you want out of the car.Driven every day raced on week ends etc...Don't expect to drop 3.5seconds off your ET by stuffing a monster cam in.
Also for the price of these cams you can't afford to piss away $3-500 to get the wrong one.
Just my two wheat pennys.