PDA

View Full Version : Hasd to start Accord LX 1990

solanog
11-07-2002, 03:58 PM
From one day to the other my engine became hard to start. Once it starts it works fine or at least it has been no noticeable drop in performance.
It's hard to start any time of the day, warm or cold engine, except when it has been just turned off. Injectors were recently cleaned, spark plug cables are about 10 months old, air and fuel filter were changed this year as spark plugs. Don't know what it could be. I was going to change plugs, don't know if this will help.

ebpda9
11-07-2002, 04:20 PM
have you checked the distributor cap and rotor ? also there is a problem with the igniter on the 4th generation accords. Have that one checked too. it is in your distributor.

solanog
11-07-2002, 04:37 PM
I checked the cap and rotor and they're fine, they also were replaced this year they have around 10,000 miles, the coil is around 5000 miles old. This igniter gives only problems when you start the engine? Or is there another symptom when the engine is runnig? Should it be checked by a mechanic or can it be done by me? How?

ebpda9
11-07-2002, 04:44 PM
the igniter is the only thing that will prevent the car from starting when cold too. it's in the distributor cap, and it's number 1 in the picture below

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13SM40_F02.gif

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1990&catcgry3=4DR+LX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=DISTRIBUTOR+%281%29+%28TEC%29

i never replaced mine but i don't think it's too hard to change, plus my distributor is completely different.

darkdaedra
11-23-2002, 05:02 AM
I hate to point out the obvious, but about 70-90% of all problems with a car as reliable as a Honda arise from neglecting to look at the obvious. Check the wires. Check the connections everywhere. If you're lucky, which you may well be, it's a problem that can be solved relatively easily.

It's actually the same with most things, never assume the obvious things are working right. Computers are the same, just take about an hour and look at your engine and do some regular maintinance jobs. You may well stumble across your problem.

Good news is that your car works and that this problem doesn't sound overly bad. If you can't work it out, have your mechanic check it out the next time you get a tune up.

solanog
12-02-2002, 08:58 AM
Just to let you know, the problem was, according to my mechanic, that a hose that goes out of the fuel pump (pump was replaced about a week before the problems started) was in bad shape (maybe porous) or a clamp was loose. This caused the fuel pressure to drop when the engine (or pump) was not running.
Thanks for your help.