PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt Questions

blind34_1
11-06-2002, 04:05 PM
Okay, well I got my car started yesterday, but it sounds out of time. I'm going to attempt to fix it tomorrow, but I've only done this once, and on an american car. I've been pouring over the chiltons manual, and they are talking about having to remove the engine mount. What??!! Won't my engine not be supported then? Will it be okay while I adjust the timing or not? Do I need an engine hoist?

Also, is there anything else I should know or be aware of? has anyone done this before? I know about TDC and everything and my cousin is going to help, but all we know is what we've discovreed on our own, and that previous car.

Also, what does brown dust inside the distributor cap mean? I just had it replaced not long ago.

ebpda9
11-07-2002, 12:49 PM
yeah i don't know about your car but you gotta loosen up 2 of your motor mounts to lover the engine. the car shoul be pretty high, otherwise you will kill your back trying to work on the car if it's on the ground. check first your ignition timing rather than the valve timing. i reall don't see how it will get messed up unless the belt broke or the wheels have very bad teeth.

the dust inside the distributor means that sommething is crapped there. might be the rotor thou