PDA

View Full Version : Car dies duiring long trips...fuel pump?

blind34_1
11-04-2002, 11:11 PM
history:

Had a problem with the starting of my car. Try to start it, it turns but won't kick over. You wait 30 seconds and try it again, and it runs fine.

I changed the spark plugs and after that I didn't have the start problem.

A week later...

I've drving for about an hour at highway speeds (75-85) and all of a sudden I feel a pop and a lunge. I back off the gas, pull it over and it stops dead. try to start it again and it'll turn, and act like it wants to start, but won't.

waited like 10-15 minutes and tried it again. turn and kind of started. The idle was crap, and it was just choking and sounding real nasty. the exahust was black. I tried giving it gas, but it didn't do anything, just continueing with a bad idle. I shut it off and had it towed.

It now sits in front of my house. heres what I'm thinking:

ignition system (broad)
fuel pump
fuel pressure regulator

could be a combo also. maybe the new plugs made it easier to ignite a lean misture caused by a crappy pump? maybe i'm talking out my @ss? I need some suggestionon what to look for!

ebpda9
11-04-2002, 11:22 PM
i would start by checking out the fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator. also check your spark plug wires. i know that shit happened to my old subaru, changed the wires and never had any problems till i sold the car.