PDA

View Full Version : ok, engine makes weird sound and trans. sounds weird in 1st/2nd gear high rpms

tim haas
11-02-2002, 09:53 PM
Okay everyone...i got my car(97 honda civ dx) bout a year ago. About 3 mos ago the engine and trans. i guess have started to make weird sounds. The tranny pings sorta when i press the gas, and it seems worse in colder weather, like tonight it was horrible. Every time i leave off the gas its fine, then press the gas it pings. Also, the engine...around 15 mph in 1st gear and like 30mph in second gear, right around before the time i shift, the engine sounds like a weedwacker, heh. Its horrible, and just started to do this. And it sounds like an unwinding sound when i push in my clutch it makes the unwinding sound and dies down. HELP PLEASE...the biggest thing is that this car is up for sale in teh paper now, and it needs help and i dont wanna spend $ to fix it cuz im sellin it in order to get a prelude. HELP PLEASE

ebpda9
11-03-2002, 01:31 AM
that sound might be a going clutch. that's why it's doing it. my old subaru did that before the clutch went out.

SilVtec
11-12-2002, 12:36 PM
My car did the same thing....it was my tranny that was messed up, and also my throw out bearing on my clutch was shot. I had to replace the clutch and tranny. Do a search, all tranny's from the year 92-00 are interchangeable...as long as it's a hydraulic tranny and clutch.

tim haas
11-12-2002, 02:10 PM
about how long do you think it'll last until she breaks on me? cuz im trying to unload the car fast......

SilVtec
11-12-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by tim haas
about how long do you think it'll last until she breaks on me? cuz im trying to unload the car fast......

The tranny will last you with the problem that it might have for a while, but if it's the clutch release bearing I would take care of that pronto. Hate to be stranded somewhere when the clutch goes.

tim haas
11-12-2002, 07:05 PM
thanks so much, just another ?. Bout how much is that release bearing gonna run to get and then to get it installed? and is it a big deal installing it, or not? my moms' boyfriend is a mechanic and will do small repairs and stuff for me, so i just wonder.

SilVtec
11-12-2002, 07:34 PM
If it is the release bearing, then I would just get a new clutch. It'll come with the release bearing. Check out that tranny too. You can go on ebay.com and get a clutch system for about $90

tim haas
11-28-2002, 06:28 PM
hey guys, need some help on this. Still doing it, really wanna sell it fast so i dont get jammed w/ paying a grand for tranny,clutch, installation and stuff. I was told it could be preignition...what is that and how do i fix it? What i have been told is to replace plugs,wires,rotor,cap. I did all that but my rotor can't go on cuz the screw is messed up and i dont have a tool to get it off. Well, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

ebpda9
11-28-2002, 11:09 PM
just **** around with that screw. it should come off. but if it's preigniting just retard the timing a bit.