PDA

View Full Version : Serendipity

DsBlu01CivEX
10-21-2002, 04:07 PM
Do any of you guys or ladies believe in serendipity/destiny/fate (whatever you wanna call it)? I guess I mean mainly with relationships/love....like do you believe that there is a "one true love" somewhere out there in the world for you. what would you do if you came to the realization that your destiny was to be single the rest of your life?

bx_integra
10-21-2002, 04:34 PM
I believe that everyone has a one true love in their life and its up to them to find that special person or not....and as for those who realize that their fate is to be alone for the rest of their lives I guess they can learn to live with that and just accept it...try to make the best out of it...I haven't found my special person yet though...im too young anyway...im only 16...i juss began living basically....My brother found his one true love though....they're going on 3 years now and are madly in love...lol...hopefully i'll be lucky enough to find that one special person in life...

P.S.- Dr.Evil found his one true love...and its not Mr.bigglesworth...lol

mt.biker
10-21-2002, 04:57 PM
I have a hard time believe that there is only one outcome for my life. That is why i can't say I believe in fate. At any moment in time I could go do something that would end my life sooner then it was supposed too.

I do however believe that there is a certain girl out there for me, maybe there are a few of those types of girls that I would be able to spend the rest of my life with. If thats fate, so be it. I guess I dont like the term "fate" it strikes a cord with me that just dont feel right. As if I dont make any decisions in my life.

bx_integra
10-21-2002, 05:03 PM
the way i look at it is not that our life was "planned" out but that everything happens for a reason and regardless of what you did or could have done that thing happened and you just gotta take it in and deal with it...

As for me I haven't found that special girl but theres one girl on here thats looking really good to me at the moment...Platinum_civic looks mad good...;)

civic3x98
10-21-2002, 05:52 PM
I think that life is like a 'choose your own adventure book'., You are on the highway.. YOu then can keep going straight or take the exit ramp and grab another highway. Sometimes the highway you choose is trouble free, then on others, there is lots of construction. I love these car analogies, lol.

I believe that there is someone out there for everyone. In many cases (unfortunatly) some people find someone, and get devorced later. Maybe that person wasnt really suppsed to be with them. But I am by far, not an expert in that area. :-p

But one thing is, yes I believe in fate. But I think fate can take you so far, then you have to grow some rear view mirror dice (stupid pun), and take it the rest of the way.

DsBlu01CivEX
10-21-2002, 08:58 PM
I haven't come to a conclusion on the "one true love" situation. I know that there are people that you "click" better with than others...but to say that there is one person you are meant to be with....I'm not 100% sure. I do believe in destiny/fate/serendipity. I think that when 2 people find each other that are meant to be together they know it. I just think too many people ignore the "clues/details" we are given in life to find our destiny. Someone used the example of picking to stay on the highway or get off one of the ramps....something has to make you pick which way to go....and I do think that it's all planned out.
Everything that happens in this world happens for a reason....and we as humans have to learn from these events whether they are huge events or minor events....we have to learn the lesson from them.

As for if I'm destined to be single the rest of my life. So be it...that's the way my life is supposed to go, so I gotta be happy. When having this conversation with a friend, he asked me "wouldn't you get lonely?". I told him nope...My explanation is this. In order for someone to be lonely, they must be deprived of something that they need out of the relationships they already have formed (family members, friends, co-workers etc). You don't have to not be in a intimate relationship with someone to feel lonely. So many people use the term incorrectly. Sure you might be alone in the respect that you don't have a bf/gf/husband/wife...but you aren't lonely because of this. You're lonely cuz you aren't getting what you need out of the relationships you already have formed. I think too many people feel that they have to follow what society says is the correct thing to do (get married, have kids, a white picket fence, a dog and 2 cats etc etc) and too many are afraid that they will end up single. There is nothing wrong with being single as long as you have other types of relationships in your life. And this is part of the reason why the divorce rate is so high. People just settle for someone they think they are in love with, realize a couple yrs, months, days down the road that they were just fooling themselves and feel like they are stuck, end up resenting the person they are with and they end up leaving each other hating the other person.

I just think that there are some things in life you can't ignore. It's a wild ride, you never know what is going to happen next. No matter how much someone tries to plan their life, there is no certainty that it's going to work out like that. I say just go with the flow and do what you feel is natural.

bx_integra
10-21-2002, 09:02 PM
^^^I agree totally with you^^^:yes:

mt.biker
10-21-2002, 09:06 PM
what happens if you want the wife and kids? I dont like the white fence and all but wife and kids would be very nice.

Rob
10-21-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by DsBlu01CivEX

Everything that happens in this world happens for a reason....
I feel the same way...and I've learned along time ago not to question it...I've been married before (as some of you might already know) and I thought she was my "someone"...then reality kicked me in the nuts and made me realize otherwise. The way that I look at it, if and when I'm meant to be with someone, I'll will be and if I'm not, then so be it. I'm not looking for anything/anyone right now....just going with the flow so-to-speak.

But from what I've seen, there are so many people in this world that it is physically, emotionally, logically, etc. impossible for there only to be one person for anyone....I think when it comes down to it there are alot of people out there for everyone....it's just a matter of finding the one that you come across that meets your criteria for the idea of a "true love"...just my $0.02.......

bx_integra
10-21-2002, 09:10 PM
I think the wife and kids sounds nice too....if thats what you want then go for it....if you do find a person you are willing to spend the rest of your life with, then try the best you can to make things work between you two and try to make the marriage work and have a some kids...

mt.biker
10-21-2002, 09:13 PM
I think the reason why relationships fall apart so quickly is because people dont put the time into them. They just bail and move on to the next, thats why devorce rates are so high. No one wants to stick to the vowes. Dont take this personally Rob.

Rob
10-21-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by mt.biker
I think the reason why relationships fall apart so quickly is because people dont put the time into them. They just bail and move on to the next, thats why devorce rates are so high. No one wants to stick to the vowes. Dont take this personally Rob.
I'm not, I really can't get into why I got divorced....I think the post would be about three pages long if I did...but it wasn't ME that wanted the divorce...it was HER. I even tried to work things out but whatever, enough of that before I get pissed off. Anyway...I see what you're saying Rob and I agree...

mt.biker
10-21-2002, 09:24 PM
Oh i should add, i think people rush into relationships to fast and get married because they dont consider marriage as important as it used to be. 50-60 years ago you got married once and now its like ya i'm on my 3rd wife. and no one carries, me i'm only getting married once....

bx_integra
10-21-2002, 09:29 PM
some people may rush into relationships too quickly because they might be given the wrong impression by their loved one...maybe they are given the impression that everything is going to work out fine and that they can make it through marriage...and sometimes they just cant handle it...thats the way i see it...other people rush into things too quickly cuz they just dont think or are so blinded by their so called "love" that they dont stop to think that they can get hurt in the process...

DsBlu01CivEX
10-21-2002, 09:34 PM
oh IF and WHEN i ever get married...it'll be once. If it happens to end in divorce, then I'm not doin it again. I have no desire to keep goin through that to see if I found my "one". I really think that some people do actually just settle with the first person that comes along cuz they grew up thinking "I'm never going to get married. I'm never going to find someone that loves me." blah blah blah....and then they don't want to put forth the effort to make a good husband/wife....and they still end up hating each other. I was never able to understand why being married was so important (no offense Mt. Biker). All it is basically is a piece of paper and some jewlery. Does saying you're married make you feel any differently about your spouse? (maybe one of our married or previously married-Rob or Racing Rice-could help me out on this one). In PA, i'm not sure about other states, if you live with a man/woman for 7 yrs or more in one household, by law the 2 of you are married (common law marriage). Maybe it's because I've never really had a serious/intimate relationship that I don't understand the point of marriage...I dunno. But I still have no problem remaining single the rest of my life. I don't doubt that I could go out now if i wanted to and find a guy that I could marry and live with the rest of my life....but would I be happy with him....I dunno. Would I somewhat resent him and feel like I cheated myself...probably. You never know what is going to happen...I don't understand why people rush it.

I keep thinking of the movies Serendipity and Cast Away....

Rob
10-21-2002, 11:36 PM
I was never able to understand why being married was so important (no offense Mt. Biker). All it is basically is a piece of paper and some jewlery.
:bow: I feel the same way..D, either you need to move to MS or I need to move to PA ;)
Does saying you're married make you feel any differently about your spouse? (maybe one of our married or previously married-Rob or Racing Rice-could help me out on this one).
Not really...actually things change when you get married...for the worst...at least that's what happened with me. All the kissy huggy shit that happens when you're dating seems to somehow disappear and get replaced with arguments. Now, I'm saying that this happens to everyone but like bx was saying, alot of people rush into marriage for the wrong reasons. I think with alot of people, once you slide that ring on your finger a sense of "ownership" takes over and that's when problems start. Not speaking from personal experience just from what I've seen with friends of mine that are married......

Now, with me...I'll give you a brief explanation of my situation. I started dating my wife in Technical School. For all you non-military types, this is the school that you go to after basic training (or boot camp) to learn your job. We dated for 6 months and everything was great. We had alot in common, enjoyed spending time together, and almost never fought. Then it was getting close to me graduating and going to my first base. Well, we loved what we had so much that we didn't want to lose it. Being that I was supposed to be going to New Mexico and she had orders to Mississippi, we decided to just get married so that we could be together. BIG MISTAKE!!!! In 6 months, I don't care what ANYBODY tells you, you cannot, I repeat cannot get to know someone enough to know what type of person they are. When you date someone, you tend to hide your flaws from them. At least most do. Well, after we got married, her "true self" came out. Seemed that she was a very promiscuous person before I met her and after we got married, she didn't think that she had to change. I can continue but this is getting long enough already....

mt.biker
10-22-2002, 02:54 PM
Sounds bad Rob. It seems to me that people are NEVER who they seem to be. Or maybe its the fact that we make them into what we want them to be.

I'll take a personal example. I dated a really messed up girl last year with some very odd characteristics. So we break up i'm screwed up for a while but now i'm over her. Been single since then, now there are a few girls in my life that I talk to about issues. Not many, I can count them all on one hand and I tend not to speak of them much, to anyone.

Well anyway, a girl I've known for sometime seems to be a really nice girl and possible be gf material if things were different and I hadn't said school comes first. So I'm talking to her last week about some we wont get into and she starts saying shit my ex would have said. I take this calmly and remind myself shes a different person. Then for some reason I see a side to her that was just like my ex. I almost hit the roof! I'm trying to figure out if I keep talking to this girl, or drop out of her life.

There are two things I can't understand and maybe you can explain them to me.
Why didn't I see this before?

How come girls are so alike? You seem to find what that stands out from the crowd and you think *dam this girl seem nice* and then boom shes just like all the rest!
:crazy: :crazy:

DsBlu01CivEX
10-22-2002, 05:40 PM
Rob, darling, sweetie....don't classify all the girls into one category. We really aren't all the same. I feel that too many people look at others to be how they want them to be. (thats really confusing to read...sorry if you don't understand) I'll give an example to help clarify.....I see a guy. I think he looks really nice, dresses nicely, is laughing and having a good time with his friends, my girls and I start talking to he and his friends. Later after my girls and i leave, I'm raving about how nice and attractive this certain guy is....and they tell me "No D, he's a player. He'd totally use you blah blah blah." But I deny it, go out with him, and he plays me. Boy now don't I feel like a big dumbass. But it's what people do all the time. Until they get walked on (or Rob in your case you realize that this "gf material" girl is similar to your ex) people don't see the real other person. It's like you put a mask on those people to make them seem better to yourself. BIG DOWNFALL of human beings.

Oh and Rob (accordinstyle), you don't want to move to PA. Especially if you wanna see me (I'm not gonna be here all that much longer!):yes:

2000Pimpinex
10-22-2002, 06:31 PM
I believe.....

pdiggitydogg
10-22-2002, 08:47 PM
No,because I dont like the idea that I;m not in control of my life.

and I hate to sound like Neo from the Matrix but I was saying before him dammit
:yes:

juvenile
10-22-2002, 09:12 PM
The reason why marriage and kids are so important is because if we don't have kids or just have 1 kid, what does that mean?
Exponential Decay (should have learned it in math)
What it is, is that we steadily decrease our population.
Wife and Husband, but no kids/1 kid.
That's 1-2 less people.
If that keeps on happening, what will happen within 50-100 years. (If earth lasts that long).

Now I'm not saying we should get married to just f*ck and have kids. But saying "I don't want to have kids because I want time to myself and my husband" is pretty selfish I think.

My 2 cents. :rambo:

ebpda9
10-22-2002, 09:27 PM
i kind of believe in this stuff. i'd put more than my $0.02 in it but i'm afraid i'd might say something stupid (as usual)

Rob
10-22-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
i kind of believe in this stuff. i'd put more than my $0.02 in it but i'm afraid i'd might say something stupid (as usual)
You say something stupid??? nahhhh ;) But seriously, feel free to put your $0.02 in....

btw, just noticed what you have in your 'stuff' box...wonder where you got that from? :rolleyes: ;)

DsBlu01CivEX
10-22-2002, 10:12 PM
Stefan the point of this thread is to say what you think....Like I sound like a total braniac....I'm surprised anyone can understand anything that I've written. put your .02 in....

bx_integra
10-24-2002, 06:20 PM
yea juss write what you think about the subject....juss write your opinion bout it....:pfft:

DsBlu01CivEX
10-24-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by juvenile
The reason why marriage and kids are so important is because if we don't have kids or just have 1 kid, what does that mean?
Exponential Decay (should have learned it in math)
What it is, is that we steadily decrease our population.
Wife and Husband, but no kids/1 kid.
That's 1-2 less people.
If that keeps on happening, what will happen within 50-100 years. (If earth lasts that long).

Now I'm not saying we should get married to just f*ck and have kids. But saying "I don't want to have kids because I want time to myself and my husband" is pretty selfish I think.

My 2 cents. :rambo:

whats wrong with population levels leveling out right now? Why do you think China has a 1 child per family law??? There are too many people on this earth for earth to naturally support all of them. This is part of the reason why we have poverty and starvation. I don't see a problem with pop levels evening off, maybe even decreasing a little. Might give those of us on earth now a chance at a better life that don't already have one. The other thing to not having kids, is some married couples realize that children aren't what they want and know that they will not be able to take care of the child the way they should. It's actually an act of responsiblity. I wish more parents would be responsible for their actions or inactions.
And there is nothing wrong with being selfish...there is just a time and a place for it!

juvenile
10-24-2002, 10:06 PM
Umm, becuase it will get out of control and people won't want to have kids and then it will severily decrease.
Oh and btw, do we live in China? I don't think NA has such a overpopulation problem!

mt.biker
10-24-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by juvenile
Umm, becuase it will get out of control and people won't want to have kids and then it will severily decrease.
Oh and btw, do we live in China? I don't think NA has such a overpopulation problem!

I must admit smaller families are a good idea.. dimitry you know in 50years there will be no more food. This seems like a stupid agruement.. YOUR POINTS INVALID!! jokes

juvenile
10-24-2002, 10:22 PM
In 50 years there will be not only no more food left, but no more other stuff on earth either. BUT THINK OF THE CHILDREN OH THINK OF THE CHILDREN :crazy: ;) :o

DsBlu01CivEX
10-25-2002, 09:30 AM
we are thinking of the children....

Mushroom
10-25-2002, 01:10 PM
I adore the idea of will and self-control, but I have a nasty thought experiment going on right now. Can I think of any instance in my life where I've done something that couldn't be explained as a result of chemistry? Something truly individual enough to show "will"?

While my personal philosophy almost entirely relies on the ability to choose one own's fate, I'm not sure whether anything is undetermined - whether anyone makes any conscious decisions at all.

GirlRacer
12-01-2002, 04:33 PM
I was going to make a new thread for this, but I remembered this thread & didn't want to be redundant. I've been thinking about this alot lately actually. :yes:
I have to ask if anyone believes in the story of the 'tear-apart'? You know, that when souls were made, they are torn in 2 & placed far away from 1 another & the point is to find your other half, be with them & then the 2 of you are whole.
Silly, I know...nice story but basically... does anyone find it possible to begin to have... I don't want to say love, lust, or like... for someone far away from them... but just have a funny feeling that it might be really interesting & possibly life changing to meet them?
Just a thought.:bandit:

Rob
12-01-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by GirlRacer
... does anyone find it possible to begin to have... I don't want to say love, lust, or like... for someone far away from them... but just have a funny feeling that it might be really interesting & possibly life changing to meet them?
yes...can anyone guess who it is??? ;)

DsBlu01CivEX
12-01-2002, 05:34 PM
I was going to make a new thread for this, but I remembered this thread & didn't want to be redundant. I've been thinking about this alot lately actually. :yes:
I have to ask if anyone believes in the story of the 'tear-apart'? You know, that when souls were made, they are torn in 2 & placed far away from 1 another & the point is to find your other half, be with them & then the 2 of you are whole.
Silly, I know...nice story but basically... does anyone find it possible to begin to have... I don't want to say love, lust, or like... for someone far away from them... but just have a funny feeling that it might be really interesting & possibly life changing to meet them?

Never actually heard it put that way...but I sorta can see where you're coming from with it. And to me it sorta makes sense since I believe in the whole fate/serendipity thing....I think it is possible for 2 people that have never met to have a certain type of connection yes. The only thing to keep in mind is that some people will act differently with people they never met than they do in "real" life. (Did that make sense??) But to put my answer in 1 word for ya...:yes: yes.

GirlRacer
12-01-2002, 09:40 PM
:yes: Kewl, dunno about the truth in it, but it IS a nice story.

mt.biker
12-01-2002, 09:40 PM
:yes:

SofaKingSmooth
12-01-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by AccordinStyle
I think when it comes down to it there are alot of people out there for everyone....it's just a matter of finding the one that you come across that meets your criteria for the idea of a "true love"

good point, i think that there are a few people out there for everone, it is just a matter of time before youll cross there path and if you choose to see it it will be there and if you let it go then you let it go. i dont really know i meen i though that i was going to be with this girl then she messed my whole world up.... i dont know what to do now.

I don't want to say love, lust, or like... for someone far away from them... but just have a funny feeling that it might be really interesting & possibly life changing to meet them?

are you talking about people that you have already met in real life? or are you talking about people from say the computer? cuz i think that in a strange way both is possable

GirlRacer
12-01-2002, 09:56 PM
Either way, I was just saying "in general". Apply it to your life.:yes: :yes:

DsBlu01CivEX
12-02-2002, 08:50 AM
Either way, I was just saying "in general". Apply it to your life.:yes: :yes:

Quin do you have a story???;) :radar:

GirlRacer
12-02-2002, 12:17 PM
haha, always!, but shouldn't we all? ;)

mt.biker
12-02-2002, 01:06 PM
haha, always!, but shouldn't we all? ;)

Yes, if you dont have a story you aint livin!

Rob
12-02-2002, 01:14 PM
Yes, if you dont have a story you aint livin!
I guess that's true but in some cases I wish I didn't have some of the stories that I do.............

mt.biker
12-02-2002, 01:21 PM
I guess that's true but in some cases I wish I didn't have some of the stories that I do.............

dude i hear ya and totaly can relate. But think about how you would be if you didn't have those stories. YOu might be a different person, I can't say if it would be good or bad but it would be diffferent.

If I hadn't been with my last gf i wouldnt have finally realized what i want in a girl and what things (if seen) mean shes a no go. Basically what i"m saying is you learn for your mistakes in life and grow from them. Well at least some of us do, some of us just do the same things over again and never learn. But I've learned alto and that means i've got some stories to tell and I'm sure the same thing can be said for alot of people.

SofaKingSmooth
12-02-2002, 04:46 PM

all we can do is learn from our stories and try to treat people better than they have treated us. if everyone does this then who knows maybe things might get a little better;)

Rob
12-02-2002, 05:08 PM
dude i hear ya and totaly can relate. But think about how you would be if you didn't have those stories. YOu might be a different person, I can't say if it would be good or bad but it would be diffferent.
that's true...I have changed alot as a person after all that I have gone through.........

DsBlu01CivEX
12-02-2002, 07:30 PM
I have 1 rule for my life. NEVER REGRET ANYTHING. And to this day, I've never regreted anything that I've done or haven't done. Everything that has happened to me up until now has made me the person I am today...and I don't think that's all too shabby.

SofaKingSmooth
12-03-2002, 12:31 PM
I have 1 rule for my life. NEVER REGRET ANYTHING. And to this day, I've never regreted anything that I've done or haven't done. Everything that has happened to me up until now has made me the person I am today...and I don't think that's all too shabby.

words to live by...... i like what you said, :bow: :bow: :bow:

DsBlu01CivEX
12-03-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by SofaKingSmooth
words to live by...... i like what you said, :bow: :bow: :bow:

SofaKingSmooth
12-07-2002, 12:53 PM
D.... any other words to inspire life?

DsBlu01CivEX
12-07-2002, 05:28 PM
what did ya have in mind?....I have a lot of thoughts about a lot of different things....

Rob
12-07-2002, 09:55 PM
what did ya have in mind?....I have a lot of thoughts about a lot of different things....
:hmmm: