PDA

View Full Version : check engine light came on/i hear a pinging noise from tranny

tim haas
10-20-2002, 07:54 AM
Hey all, i gota 97 honda civ bout a year ago(10 mos ago) and noticed that something started to ping after like 6 mos. It sounds as if its comin from tranny bu tim not sure. Dunno if this could be it, but i was using low quality gas 87 hess, for about 6 mos. Then i changed to 89 premium hess for the past 4 mos. It still pings. This only happens sometimes, but a lot of the time after i leave up my clutch and press the gas, or when i just leave up the clutch a lil at a time w/o gas. It annoys me a lot. and.....

My other problem is my check engine light just game on. I dont know why, but i just cleaned teh o2 sensor(top one) ah, bout 2 mos ago, changed the plugs, etc. The light stayed off for bout 2 mos, and now its back on. Well, my mom's bf did for me, he's a mechanic, but doesnt know hondas worth a darn. well, help me out please guys, cuz I have the car in the paper and hope to get it fixed FAST....Thanks a lot, well appreciated.

kilo97civic
10-20-2002, 03:54 PM
i would take the car to an auto parts store that uses an OBD2 scanner....it could be the o2 sensor thats in the cat converter...my 97 did that to me after i added the full exhaust system and i had to buy an 0r harness extended made by dc sports...then i had the parts store reset the computer...thats what i would do...

ebpda9
10-20-2002, 04:06 PM
yup what he said:yes:

tim haas
10-20-2002, 06:29 PM
Thanks you, thats what i was thinking. Im sort of debating whether or not to take it to a honda place, or to buy my own scanner device. I can get one for $150, and i can get help hooking it up and checkin...or go to honda and have em do it, but how much u think they'll charge me just to hook the scanner up and see whats wrong? thanks again

ebpda9
10-20-2002, 06:35 PM
usually the dealerships and shops around cleveland charge $70 an hour but the diagnostics takes less than that. I think autozone will check the codes for you for free.

tim haas
10-21-2002, 02:26 PM
hey, whoever posted autozone is brilliant. They told me to bring it in sometime and they can scan it for me. Any idea of how much i can expect to end up paying tho for parts to fix it? Most likely i can get free labor but i have to buy parts. What could it be? thanks, and yeah the transmission is pinging, any ideaS?

ebpda9
10-31-2002, 07:05 PM
as for the tranny pingin no clue here. i know on older civics that sound could be caused by bad inner cv joints. do you have any vibrations at highway speeds ?