PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering causes crazy idle!?!

rlj51
10-15-2002, 07:02 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to see if anyone could diagnose this. The shop I took the car to said they have worked on a lot of Honda's but have never seen this problem:

When the car is running, and stopped (in neutral, I have a 5spd), and I turn the steering wheel either direction it causes the idle to go up and down irratically. It also makes a loud huming noise. As soon as I stop turning the wheel, the idle goes back to normal. When I am driving I don't notice anything like this.

Has anyone else experienced this with their early 90s Accords? Thanks!

ebpda9
10-16-2002, 11:23 AM
mine does the same thing too. i haven't got to solving this problem. my guess will be that the ps pump is bad or you need a flush. i bet nobody told you to change the ps fluid. after a while the oil might make some rubbery deposits in the hoses and the pum and thus will obturate them. try flushing the ps system. hope this helps. i'll do this to mine tommorrow and let you know how it is gonna work out.

another problem is that your steering gear ( rack and pinion might be going. i haven't look underneath the car to see if there is a way to add grease to it.

rlj51
10-16-2002, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the help hondaman-iac! I was wondering, are you (or is anyone) familiar with PSF-V additive for the power steering resevoir? It talks about it in the Consumer Guide's report for 4th gen Accords:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2047.htm

"Steering noise: If there is a squeak or squeal in the steering, especially when making a slow, tight turn, look for a label on the power steering reservoir that says PSF-V additive was added. If the noise is still there after additive was installed, the right-side end seal on the steering rack will have to be replaced. (1990-93)"

Would doing this help? Also does anyone know if there is a sensor that regulates idle when using the power steering?

ebpda9
10-16-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by rlj51
Thanks for the help hondaman-iac! I was wondering, are you (or is anyone) familiar with PSF-V additive for the power steering resevoir? It talks about it in the Consumer Guide's report for 4th gen Accords:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2047.htm

"Steering noise: If there is a squeak or squeal in the steering, especially when making a slow, tight turn, look for a label on the power steering reservoir that says PSF-V additive was added. If the noise is still there after additive was installed, the right-side end seal on the steering rack will have to be replaced. (1990-93)"

Would doing this help? Also does anyone know if there is a sensor that regulates idle when using the power steering?

hmm good piont. i noticed that my boot on the rack is leaking a bit so i guess that is it. the boot should run about $15-20 plus an alignament.