PDA

View Full Version : car "lurches/surges" between 2k-3k

spoogenet
10-03-2002, 03:01 PM
Hmm, this is starting to really make me wonder. At first I attributed it to the A/C, but then I began to notice that it's not just when the A/C is on. I thought maybe it was just strange roads and not really the car, but then I began to realize that it really is the car. I thought maybe the Exxon 89 was the problem, but Chevron 89 does the same.

Between about 2k-3k the car feels like it surges a little. It's not a lot, fairly faint, but still very noticeable as the driver. I notice it almost only in 2nd gear. 1st goes by too quickly, and I notice it some in 3rd. If I granny the car then I don't notice it at all, but I notice it during what I would call "normal" acceleration. I don't notice it when I'm really getting on the throttle because I don't even enter 2nd until I'm above 3k already where I don't notice it.

Car's only got 11.8k, so I would suspect that it's probably not an injector problem. I guess I'd expect injector problems to manifest themselves more at higher engine speeds anyways. I was thinking maybe a fuel pump problem at lower speeds but not at higher, but that just sounds odd to me. I have had issues where it feels like the clutch slips a little, I guess 2k-3k is around the peak torque of the engine....but I dunno if that would really be what it is.

Anyways, any assistance on diagnosing this would be much appreciated. I'm probably going to head to a dealer in the next couple of weeks for some new Mobil 1 + filter so I'll speak with them about it as well.....

b