PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Any auto mechanics or car whizzes here? Need help!

dolemite77
09-30-2002, 02:38 PM
I just took my 1990 honda prelude si into the shop (EconoLube) to get some work done. They were to replace the two front CV Joints, change transmission fluid, and change a couple belts under the hood. The reason for changing the belts is that there was a fairly loud squeaking noise coming from under the hood especially when i was in idle. This was gonna be $600....

So we agree and tell them to go ahead... One of the guys calls back in a couple hours and says when they were changing / taking off the belts, the "Harmonic Balance broke loose and fell to the floor." He goes on and on about what it is, what it's connected to, and then tells me it's gonna be an extra $250 for parts/labor to fix this. Does anyone know if this sounds legit?!? Damn, pretty soon it's not gonna be worth the cost of fixing! I am so fustrated, the total will now be over $900... Any suggestions?? :no:

ebpda9
09-30-2002, 02:49 PM
i don't know about your car, but the harmonic balancer on mine is on the crankshaft pulley and that won't break loose and fall to the floor. they were not carefull and let it drop so tell them to shove it up their asses and give you a new one. they broke it.

Mushroom
10-01-2002, 07:56 AM
$600 is an okay price for CV joints. $900 is not. Talk to the manager, ***** up a storm, and don't leave until they do the original work at the quoted price and fix what they broke.

On a related topic, I don't think I'd ever take my car to a shop called "EconoLube"...

foxygrandma
10-14-2002, 11:14 AM
i would have them pay for their carelessness on that pulley. $600 isnt bad on the rest though

Dr Drew
10-21-2002, 06:29 PM
$600 for AXELS !?!? OMG...They are 60 dollars each for rebuilt ones and an hour labor. Man, where do you live, i'll do it for 300!!

foxygrandma
10-21-2002, 07:37 PM
he also got belts changed and his transmission fluid changed. i worked at a nissan dealer and thats about right. its expensive to have someone else work on your car.