PDA

View Full Version : Acceleration Problem

Johns95EX
09-22-2002, 07:48 PM
Hi - I'm a newbie with a question.

I have a 95 Civic EX that I bought 2 months ago. Modified it to the best of my ability. (Had a completely restored Trans Am that was totalled when a drunk hit me.)

Anywho, last week I installed a Meanstreak exhaust system(replacing the flowmaster I originally installed) out of boredom. To my disgust, after installing the Meanstreak, I had lost complete acceleration. Top speed I could get on the highway was 50-55 mph (when before I could get to 120 no problem.) Figuring it was an issue with back-pressure, I installed a resonator and took it back out on the road and replaced the Meanstreak with the Flowmaster. I noticed improvement (got to about 85 on the highway) but still no luck with the acceleration I once had.

Thinking it might be the clutch, I got on a nice stretch of road and got up to around 35mph in 3rd at 3000 rpm's and shifted easilly into forth, no godawful high whining sounds when I shifted so I don't think it's the clutch.

(the upside to this is the vehicle now shifts like butter)

The only other thing I can think of is that I had a senior moment at the age of 20 and put too large (or too small) of a resonator on it.

I welcome any suggestions you may have.

Thanks,
John

ebpda9
09-22-2002, 09:18 PM
beats me dude. you might have lost the acceleration, but the top speed should have stayed the same. are you sure you did not knock any sensors or anything out ?

Johns95EX
09-23-2002, 09:34 AM
Everything there appears to be fine - other suggestions?

-John