PDA

View Full Version : Valves rattlin like crazy!

shizzott
09-13-2002, 12:23 AM
I have no clue what it is... I use 89 octane, adjusted intake valves to .06 and exhaust to .08 - I've retarded the timing, losing power. It just recently is getting worse. It only pings up till about 3.5k rpm the more the bog the more pingin. anyone know whats up?

93 honda civic d16 sohc vtec

ebpda9
09-13-2002, 06:56 AM
hmm try advancing the timig a bit, and use the 87 octane. also redo the valve adjusting. sometimes the screws that adjust the valve clearance are getting worn in a few directions so it might be a good idea replacing those

shizzott
09-15-2002, 03:33 AM
wouldnt advancing the timing worsen the problem? aswell with lowering the octane rating cause more of a 'ping'?

i've been retarding and uping the octane, if your right, i'm all wrong.. can you explain why maybe?

thanks for your time,

ebpda9
09-15-2002, 09:39 PM
knocking and pinging are usually associated with these:
-incorect grade of fuel
-ignition timing incorect
-improper or damaged spark plug wires
-worn or damaged distributor components
-EGR valve not functioning
-vacuum leak

as far as i know pinging comes from too much ignition retarding and knocking comes from too much advancing, but don't take my word for it. also your cat might be messed up

shizzott
09-16-2002, 02:00 AM
Thanks man, i'm gunna mess with it tommarrow. I'm thinking its a timing issue, the reason i say this is because when i put a new timing belt on my car when i first got it i couldnt get the crank pully off to remove the lower timing cover so i distroyed it. lil did i know but the timing marks are on the lower timing cover.. i'd seen in all the mags that no one had a timing cover, so i figured the whole thing, come to find out, no one runs a top one, but they leave the lower one for the timing marks... errr. any tips on how to adjust it without the marks? thanks again!

ebpda9
09-16-2002, 07:46 AM
yep, buy the flywheel. you gotaa put the piston #1 at TDC in the compression stroke. for than in my accord the timing mark is on the cam gear, and the arrow is pointing upwards. also there are marks on the flywheel and the bellhousing.

shizzott
09-17-2002, 12:34 AM
can i shoot the marks on the fly wheel with a timing light?

ebpda9
09-17-2002, 12:55 AM
yup

shizzott
09-18-2002, 02:27 AM
Thanks man..