PDA

View Full Version : CEL 14 tried to fix

maxpsi
09-09-2002, 10:28 PM
All summer I have been battling with this code = CEL 14. CEL 14 = Idle Control System Malfunction - Defective IAC valve, defective fast idle thermo valve, throttle body. I replaced the IACV and recently checked it to make sure there was no carbon build up. Everyone looks fine with the IACV. Next up....my TPS clip was crack and vibrating bad at high RPMs. It would vibrate the terminals inside the clip loose causing it to throw CEL 14. I got the clip off of a 94 civic lx and ran the wires into it. Then I attached the new TPS clip to the TPS and it created a snug fit. At this point it worked fine for awhile. Once again CEL 14 came on. It does it sometimes when I rev high or when I'm just sitting at a light. I'm thinking of taking off my throttle body and IACV. Then taking some carb cleaner and drenching the TB and IACV down. That should take care of any of the mechanical problems like sticking valves if that is actually the prob. IF that does not work it has to be electrical. Like a grounded wire, bad sensor, or bad connector clip. Guys I have a turbo coming in soon, and I'm scared to death of putting it on until I solve this CEL prob. If you can help me in anyways please do. If you know anyone that can help me send this post by email to them so they can have a chance to post. I'm out of ideas! Please help, thanks!

untainted
09-15-2002, 10:20 PM
that sounds funny did it ever idle like very choppy and kinda not run good at idle like idle bout 600 to 675 like a cam sound kinda? it might be the same problem as me ...your car is really too new for an idle such as that .. it could be many things your tester if cel 14??? u have a year 2000 well under yer name it says maybe your using an obd1 dianostic and your checking the totally wrong problem.. also possibly see if there is dirt in your map sensor on top of the throttle body and after u put the tps on after its been unplugged take one the battery terminals off and let the cpu clear itself .. should help

maxpsi
09-15-2002, 10:58 PM
We check the TPS with a voltmeter. We watched it as I opened the throttle all the way to WOT. The TPS wasn't reading anything so it is bad. When the car is at WOT the TPS is reading that it is closed and screwing up the ECU. That is what is causing CEL 14. I am going to have to find a used TB and replace the one I have. Thanks for your help though!