PDA

View Full Version : 1997 honda civic lowsey idle

untainted
09-04-2002, 04:16 PM
I've been having this same problem for months now i know probably no one will know but anything is worth a shot. So everytime i stop and car is idling or if i rev it up to 3100 where my vtec kicks in my exhaust pops and the check engine light will come on for a few days. ive tried plugs , wires , cap , rotor , o2, map sensor( came up on diag. ) uhmm there is an enless possibility of what it could be but if u have a friend that had this or know whats possibly wrong hola at me .. sorry if this is confusing ...

ebpda9
09-04-2002, 08:45 PM
that's a weird one. shouldn't the vtec come in later in the 4500-5000rpm range ? the pop is most likely a backfire, so one of the plugs must be shot, or something in the ignition. the CEL might be one because of the knock

untainted
09-04-2002, 09:53 PM
Well the backfire is like what it does it kinda sound like the timing is off so i checked it and the timing belt.. fine.. and as for something in the ignition i dont know plugs are fine ( new , wires also cap also and rotor) .. ignition cel is like a fuse ?

ebpda9
09-04-2002, 09:55 PM
no CEL is Check Engine Light.

untainted
09-05-2002, 01:17 PM
well i have a vtec controller , aem cai, tanabe catback, dc sport 2 piece header , msd box (unhooked now along with no header on car ) and nology wires, my car was tuned at dyno pushing a good amount of hp but after a month or 2 my external coil fell off and it ran like this , so im thinking its an eletrical problem just wanna know where before i spend alotta money , diag. computer reads malfunction map so i replaced map sensor from honda part cost me 300 bucks and it didnt work . any ideas... thanx for trying to help

Accord Man
09-05-2002, 01:39 PM
umm, strange ..

maybe you should check the compression of each cylinder.. And if something shows, well at least you'll know in which area the problem is..