PDA

View Full Version : timing belt broken, bent valves?

foxygrandma
08-10-2002, 11:06 PM
i am looking to buy a 91 crx. the ad says needs timing belt. if it is broken (which im sure it is) will the valves be bent. i know some engines wont hit the valves. i need some info asap, any help is appretiated

ebpda9
08-10-2002, 11:31 PM
i don't know what to tell you. there might be more than bent valves as damages, such as broken pistons. well go and see the car. usually hondas need to have the timing belt chaged every 90k miles.

foxygrandma
08-11-2002, 07:07 AM
mostly i need a car that i can drive w/o a whole lotta work. i donthave the time or money to replace the engine or reuild that one.

ripthesystem
08-12-2002, 11:30 PM
best bet for the right answer- call a dealer or a foreign indy mechanic and ask if that make/model has a suicide engine or not?

if so and the belt is broken-might as well forget about it. Then again the belt might not be broken at all. It might just be time for a new one and that's what he meant with the ad.

good luck!
ripthesystem

foxygrandma
08-13-2002, 06:28 AM
i bought the car anyway. he put a new timing belt on it and said he tried to start it and it would fire, but not run. i know it has been sitting for a while so there are things that need to be cleaned and fixed. now that i have a honda again you will probly see a lot of me around here. lol