PDA

View Full Version : Safety vs. Style and steering

ATI2UDE
10-08-2001, 11:32 PM
I'm thinking about getting a MOMO Apache steering wheel. Looks killer and steering, handling, become more responsive. Option button for horn and extra buttons for NOS etc.
But I will be losing my airbag! What do you guys think?
I want the wheel but I always hear in the back of my head "the airbag saved his life":confused:

2ndGenTeg
10-09-2001, 02:46 AM
If your car is equipped with an airbag stock, making any sort of modification either removing it or making it non-functional is illegal.

As for steering response, etc- just tune up your suspension. You'd be surprised what a difference sway bars can make.

slowerthanu
10-09-2001, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by 2ndGenTeg
If your car is equipped with an airbag stock, making any sort of modification either removing it or making it non-functional is illegal.

As for steering response, etc- just tune up your suspension. You'd be surprised what a difference sway bars can make.

Actually sir, that is incorrect, it used to be illegal, but you can now go to any honda Dealership and have them disable the airbag, it then becomes legal to remove.

2ndGenTeg
10-10-2001, 02:15 AM
This was in response to reports of the airbag deploying and choking, strangling, or entangling the occupants of the vehicle. Therefore, some people prefer to not have an airbag.

It depends on the state. In most states, however, disabling the airbag is illegal.

OneDopeTeg
10-10-2001, 09:17 PM
I agree with 2ndGenTeg a cop would not hesitate to ticket you :) but then again do they ever?

slowerthanu
10-10-2001, 10:01 PM
Well let me rephrase then, In Utah it is legal to disable and remove the airbag from the car, this is what I had to learn when I worked for a Honda Dealership

ATI2UDE
10-18-2001, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by 2ndGenTeg

I do have a DC Sports front strut bar and I did notice a big difference once I installed it. but I was refering to the steering wheel itself as far as response time and shape, maybe you never saw a Momo Apache steering wheel.

turbo LS
11-12-2001, 05:19 PM
if you ask me....i'd say go ahead with the steering wheel...if it's illegal and you don't wanna be ticketed...then don't....otherwise go ahead....response is great....the feeling is great!! also if you have second thoughts about it....then don't do it....:rolleyes:

turbo LS
11-12-2001, 05:23 PM
not an apache...but same idea on my ride

ATI2UDE
11-15-2001, 09:10 PM
Thanx turboLS for your response the MOMO wheel in your ride looks killer and I bet you notice a difference in steering. I figured if I give up my air bag I'll just have to get the AEM big brake rotors and calipers too!!!

turbo LS
11-16-2001, 04:02 PM
well if you get the AEM brake upgrade...let me know how it feels!!! aiiiight?!?!

ATI2UDE
11-20-2001, 12:34 AM
thanx Turbo LS I'll keep you informed!

tightteg52
11-28-2001, 09:31 AM
i wouldn't give up my air bag just cause im the worry wart type but they have some jdm ones that let you keep you air bag an they look great too.