PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer problem

lorbid
07-28-2002, 10:50 PM
Ok, I have a 1993 Civic, LX 4dr, 1.5L, 5-spd...

My speedometer for my car is not working properly. It sometimes works and other times does not. My Cruise control though still works no matter what. What would cause this to happen? How would I check it?

All my other gauges work, but my speedometer & odometer/tripometer work spiraticaly. Please help.

Sean

doownek
07-28-2002, 11:12 PM
hi, i had a similer problem with my 90 accord. i dunno if this will help you or not, but it might be a start as to where to look.

in my 90 accord EX, the speedometer would sporatically work. it would work fine, then just stop, working for up to a few hrs, then work again........

anyway after some research i found a webpage

http://www.cybertrails.com/~bestinthewest/autotips/999VSSTestLocation.html

it described the exact problem i had in my 90 accord....i would imagine a civic would be a similer set up....i have NO idea if it is, so if its not...well then i dunno what to say.

it ended up beeing the electronic speed sensor, and was about 150 buks for the part, and took a buddy of mine and myself about 1/2 hr to swap the parts out..... and problem solved.

check your ECM code, and see if ya got any errors. on the accord a code 17 is the speed sensor.....it may be diff for the civic i dunno.... hopefully this will give you an idea where to look to get the prob solved....

hope this helps in anyway

lorbid
07-28-2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by doownek

check your ECM code, and see if ya got any errors. on the accord a code 17 is the speed sensor.....it may be diff for the civic

How would I check my ECM code? Would I use a multimeter to do so?

lorbid
07-28-2002, 11:59 PM
:no:

Well I looked at that web site you gave me and I saw a pic of a piece I found under my car one day... it was the speed sensor drive pin. (Atleast I think), I'll try to replace that then give an up date... (You're right the part costs about $120)