PDA

View Full Version : New idea for an exhaust

ebpda9
07-03-2002, 12:50 PM
well this ideaa came to me when my brother's car messed up the exhaust. he has 2.5" piping underneath the car all the way to the rear muffler. it has a nice grownl to it and it's not that loud when idling but when you step on the gas sounds like a throaty v8. so i was thinking on removing all my 1.75" piping from tyhe cat back, then put 2.5" pipes and just put a resonator on the car where it was supposed to be. i think i'll get the same results as the smaller integra. what do u think ? will it be worth it ?

VieT916
07-03-2002, 01:27 PM
If you want to sound like a V8, run 2.5" cat-back exhaust piping with a 2.5" Borla Hemi universal muffler. I ran that setup on my old four-cylinder Accord, and it sounded MEAN. Seriously, everyone complimented me on how my engine sounded, and I shit you not, I was at a stoplight once next to this guy in a truck with his window rolled down. My car was idling normally but sounded really loud and good. He actually stuck his head out the window, looked at my front hood, and then looked at me, and he had this funny look on his face like, "Wait, I thought this kid's Accord was a four-banger." :yes: I highly recommend Borla mufflers on imports; generally, "domestic" mufflers tend to sound like crap on anything less than six cylinders (read: Flowmasters, Dynomax Ultra-Flos, and Magnaflows), but the Borla muffler I got -- the Hemi universal muffler -- sounded great ... it had an EXTREMELY deep, throaty growl at idle and just screamed "My four-banger can sound like a V8, too!" at WOT. I wish I recorded the sound back then, but I didn't have the equipment when I had the car. But just something to look into. :bandit:

Accord Man
07-03-2002, 01:46 PM
I run 2 1/4 in brullen pipes from the front to the back, and I use a remus muffler..

Its expensive, but my car is the nicest N/A car I've heard..

2ndGenTeg
07-03-2002, 03:39 PM
The problem with running 2.5" piping from the cat back is that it's larger than the collector flange, which is 2.25". You end with back pressure problems and backflow. It might sound good, but you'll lose power. If you want to run 2.5" piping, you need a 2.5" collector (i.e. JDM ITR header). Then you need to find a cat with a 2.5" collector (i.e. Spoon). You could also weld the collector onto your header, and/or skip the cat (insert disclaimer HERE).

Just some ideas.

mt.biker
07-10-2002, 10:10 PM
would this work on my 3.5 rl? i have a v6 btw