PDA

View Full Version : my e-brake is almost out. or needs realignment

yelizardking
07-03-2002, 01:44 AM
my parcking brake is almost out, it barely grabs all the way at the top, and by all the way i mean all the way. i think/hope all it needs is to be realigned. can i do that myself? if so how?

ebpda9
07-03-2002, 09:46 AM
befoire you say it needs religned did you check the rear brake pads/shoes ? that might be the cause

spoogenet
07-03-2002, 09:56 AM
Or your cable stretched. They have a tendency to do that over time, especially if you really pull hard on the handle all the time when parking. But per Cpt. Rice's suggestion, definitely check the brakes as well.

b

ebpda9
07-03-2002, 12:55 PM
if you really want to realign it just take off the center consoile and you will see a metal rod with some screws that will adjust the handbrake. i don't know for your car but for mine the freeplay will have to be 4 to 8 clicks.

yelizardking
07-04-2002, 01:08 AM
hmm i see i think i will celebrate my 4th o july by doing that
hehe

ebpda9
07-04-2002, 12:42 PM
HA HA i jud did fixing my dad's brakes :eek: on monday it's my turn

yelizardking
07-08-2002, 02:07 PM
alrighty, i did what "hondaman-iac" said and it now grabs lower. but from what i saw something wasn't right. the two wires that go to the brakes are not aligned right. when i pull the break the left wire goes up about 3/4'' higher than the right one. what do need to do now?

yelizardking
07-08-2002, 02:08 PM
one more thing. how do i change the rear breaks? i was taking a look at them and it looks pretty tricky.

ebpda9
07-08-2002, 02:38 PM
for the first question: are the brake shoes worn equally on both parts ? that will be the cause for that missalignament, or it could be for the different routes the cable takes to get to the brakes. on my car they are misaligned even if the brake is off. on my car you can adjust every wire idividually so i guess you could do that too. but first have the shoes and drums (if necessary) changed. the rear brakes are reall easy but i haven't had any first hand experience with civics so i can't tell.