PDA

View Full Version : Turbo or Supercharge?

Hyjnx da Civic
06-29-2002, 09:54 PM
Ok, heres the deal, im working on building up mad power, no flamboyant stuff on the outside, jsut an exuast, lowering, and now i wanna get down and dirty with the engine, Ive been doing my reading and ive noticed with a Turbo, i would have to upgrade my tranny (its an auto :( please dont hate me, i work with what im given) and that costs about as much as the turbo kits themselves, but ive read and heard that with a supercharger I dont need to upgrade, but I know that the superchargers dont offer that much HP boost, and well here are my questions:

A.) Is that true that I dont need to upgrade for a supercharger?
B.) What kinds of pro's and con's are there for both ?
C.) Is there a way to squeeze more power from the SC ?
D.) Cheap (but affective) Turbo Kits ?

blownteggy
06-30-2002, 01:38 AM
ok hyjnx here's the deal
1. the only upgrade you will need to do is upgrade the fuel pump. yuo can get that from jackson racing when you order the blower.
2. there's a high performance section on these boards. i'm just to lazy to explain all this stuff.
3. not exactly cheap ways, but i believe you can swap out the crankshaft pulley. i did this on my integra. not sure if it works on a civic though. basic bolt-ons, other puleys from endyne(slogan: "soon to be a household name")
4. no such thing as a cheap turbo kit. you get what you pay for. decent turbo kit for automatic civic: greddy!

need more info just ask!

thermal
06-30-2002, 11:34 AM
A) depending on what pulley size you'll be using. JRSC at 6 psi does not need any upgrade. it is designed to bolt on straight to your stock system. however, like blownteggy mentioned, get a fuel pump to have a more reliable set-up.

B) this is a sensitive subject. IN MY OPINION, turbos have more potential due to the ease of increasing boost "on the go", whereas on SC's will require a pulley change. most superchargers will give extra torque and power on all the rev band while turbos (depending on the size) may cause "lag" on the low end rev band.

C) pulley and/or an upgrade from the manufacturer.

D) for an auto tranny like yours, i would advice to get a small turbo set-up like GReddy's. the cheapest way to get force induction is to be patient and resourceful then put your own turbo set-up together. you can get a used T25 or TDO5 (which is used by many turbo stock car like mitsu eclipse, volvo, isuzu, saab, etc). you get these turbos very cheap from a junkyard. i picked one a while back that cost me $10 and was in decent condition.

thermal
06-30-2002, 11:36 AM
oh BTW, i also copied this thread to the high performance forum to get more response.......

AzCivic
06-30-2002, 01:53 PM
So just how much boost can you get from a supercharger, like jackson racings for example?

blownteggy
07-01-2002, 12:41 AM
check your pm

Addict
07-12-2002, 12:33 PM
A.) Is that true that I dont need to upgrade for a supercharger?
B.) What kinds of pro's and con's are there for both ?
C.) Is there a way to squeeze more power from the SC ?
D.) Cheap (but affective) Turbo Kits ?

A. Either way depends on the amount of boost. For 6-7 PSI, yok on stock equip.
B. S/C is great for low end, but lacks in high end. Opposite is true for turbo.
C. See below.
D. No such thing. The least expensive one is about $1400 from GReddy. Just look around on the net. www.groupbuycenter.com runs buy every now & then.
Originally posted by AzCivic
So just how much boost can you get from a supercharger, like jackson racings for example?
With JRSC, 10PSI. You can "mod" the s/c itself to push higher PSI. I don't know the details on it, I've only heard of it.