PDA

View Full Version : Straight B20z swap with all the goodies

Type R Tercel
06-05-2002, 03:52 PM
Hi guys, I'm just wondering if anybody here has done something similiar to what I am thinking of doing. What kind of times would you expect from this set up? What are the pros and cons of this set up?
The car is the canadian 1993 civic si hatchback. this car is roughly 2300 to 2400 hundred pounds.

By putting in the B20z motor, no vtec heads, and adding these....

- canadian civic SiR tranny
- ACT street clutch
- muegan flywheel (9 pounds)
- AEM CAI
- after market pulleys
- DC 4-2-1 ceramic headers
- straight pipe
- DC sport exhaust
- integra Ls intake manifold
- crower 403 cams, valve springs, titanium retainers
- reprogrammed ecu (rev up to 8K, advanced timing, dump more fuel)

what kind of 1/4 mile times would i see with this???

Maxvla
06-05-2002, 08:05 PM
thats a funky engine to choose. the b20z will give you about 143 hp stock. and your right. no vtec.

there is not alot aftermarket for this engine... what made you choose this one?

if you can find all those parts that will fit on that engine... i'd say you could run low to high 13s. slap a turbo on it and you'll hit low 12's with minimal boost.
complete guess btw... so don't sue me if it doesn't happen for ya.

chris.

juvenile
06-05-2002, 08:15 PM
Where does that engine originally come from btw?

Maxvla
06-05-2002, 08:39 PM
99 CRV

2ndGenTeg
06-05-2002, 09:10 PM
You'll get a mediocre engine at best. Pretty much just a 2.0L LS.

There are some flaws:

You'll never be able to spin it to 8K without breaking stuff. Therefore, the 403's are out of the question.

The rest is just basic bolt ons. Honestly, I'd say you're looking at no more than 140hp to the wheels, with stock cams. In order to run the 403s, you'd need forged rods and pistons.

This is getting to be a costly project for very mediocre results. For the same price, you could build a B18C and get something at least a little fast.

BTW- Mugen.

Type R Tercel
06-05-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by 2ndGenTeg
You'll get a mediocre engine at best. Pretty much just a 2.0L LS.

There are some flaws:

You'll never be able to spin it to 8K without breaking stuff. Therefore, the 403's are out of the question.

The rest is just basic bolt ons. Honestly, I'd say you're looking at no more than 140hp to the wheels, with stock cams. In order to run the 403s, you'd need forged rods and pistons.

This is getting to be a costly project for very mediocre results. For the same price, you could build a B18C and get something at least a little fast.

BTW- Mugen.

wait a minute, wait a minute here... i'm starting to get different opinions from different people.

i talked with a friend who put a b20b into a 1993 civic cx hatch back and he only had an aftermarket exhaust, the guy ran a 14.7.
another friend had basically the same stuff that i was talking about from above, except he had also a b20b in a crx, he doesn't know what his times are but he's absolutely sure he can kill a gsr hatchback. the torque differences is by 0.2 litres, it doesn't seem by that much, but have you ever try stomping on a b16a off the start and compare that with the b18b? they 'll both come off pretty close in a race if it's thrown into a hatchback civic.

now having said that, if the b20 is basically the Ls engine with a bigger displacement, then how come crower claims that the 403 cams are good to 8000 with after market valve springs and retainers on the Ls motor? shouldn't the b20 be even more of a stronger motor (if you go turbo, the block can handle more punishment)?

i basically have all the parts, all i need is the b20z longblock and the cams/valve springs/retainers

Wren57
06-07-2002, 09:14 PM
The b20 motor is a good candidate for turbo applications ONLY IMO... I would not go all motor on a non-vtec car... just doesnt make a ton of sense why you would get a good turbo motor and not turbo it instead of getting the good NA motor and building it... get a b18c and build it and you will get much better times than 14.7 with good traction... let us know your final decision:yes:

thermal
06-10-2002, 02:07 AM
i'm with highlander on this one. B20 turbo is my next big project, if i ever come up with the money. i know that it is cheaper to get a B20 than a B18C, however by the time you get the power u need wanted on that B20 (without turbo), the money put in could be just as much

VieT916
07-03-2002, 07:57 PM
I used to know a guy with a B20 in his del Sol. The only real performance mod he had was a modified AEM short-ram intake. He ran mid-14's with just a B20 and the intake, nothing more ... not even an exhaust or muffler or anything. The del Sol probably weighs around the same as your 5G hatchback, so if you're a good driver, hitting 14's straight out of the box isn't too hard to do. Not sure how my post really helps you, though. :D

AzCivic
07-03-2002, 08:13 PM
http://hybrid2.honda-perf.org/tech/b20/b20dyno2.html

This has some info on the subject.