PDA

View Full Version : HELP! CV Joint/Half Shaft disassembly

blind34_1
05-25-2002, 10:48 AM
I hate broken boots! Okay, To replace a CV boot, you have to remove the halfshaft. We got it out. We have the outboard joint and inboard joint with the shaft in the middle that we can hold in our hands. What I need somebody to tell me is: How do you remove the outboard assembly (the one closest to the wheel)?
Basically it looks like this:

Transaxle End|={ }>======{ }=

{ } is the joint(s)
> is the only boot that is on right now
== indicates the halfshaft

We need to know how to take the { } off and get it back on after sliding the new boot on. Please help or point me to a site that can!

Please! I dont want to drive a cavalier anymore than I have to!

ebpda9
05-25-2002, 01:41 PM
i'm not sure how i did it on mine, but i think you have to bend the joint and pull it out.

blind34_1
05-26-2002, 01:38 PM
Yeah, you're right. it just takes some muscle. But get this: we (actually my cousin did this part) finally got the joint off the shaft, but there are these little rings that you must first break to get the joint off, then replace it with a new one. This extremly simple part is not stocked by ANYONE in my town. NAPA, Autozone, Advance, no one! So I was screwed and was forced to just buy a new halfshaft with everything already done (for 60$). A lot of wasted time there! But it was better than paying 300 to have some mech do the job.

ebpda9
05-27-2002, 12:14 AM
dude a cv boot is what 20 ?, plus the time you spoend fixing it ? it's just not worth it. i have the same problem with the boots on my car, but i let them go to hell, for one more week, and get new shafts

blind34_1
05-27-2002, 02:32 PM
No, cv boot ran me like 9 bucks. Yeah, it seems much more cost effective just buying a new shaft. Oh well, live and learn.
BTW: dont ever buy a 'Speedi-Boot'. You are buying a 15 dollar POS.

ebpda9
05-27-2002, 04:18 PM
i know i just had one that is torn out, not just cracked like the normal ones. new shafts are in the store for me now