PDA

View Full Version : loud squeel

cdawg1824
05-11-2002, 04:40 AM
i have a very loud squeel coming from the front end of my car. Ifigured it had to be the wheels. The fan runs for a while after the car is turned off and sounds fine. I will try to explain it the best i can. After driving for like 15 minutes or more everyonce in a while (not all the time) i hear the sound. If i jerk the wheel it will sometimes quite and sometimes quit for a sec and then start again. When the car is in neutral it still happenes, and if it starts making the noise and i turn the car off and let it roll it still does it. when the car has come to a stop the noise is gone. Sometimes the noise is farly soft but eventually get really loud. any ideas?

spoogenet
05-11-2002, 02:36 PM
It sounds like it must be something in your wheel system if it's independent of whether the engine is turning or not.

Does it disappear or get worse when you get on the brakes? Have you checked your brake pads recently? The pads could have issues, or your calipers could be causing the pad to slightly rub the rotors which could cause a squeel.

There are many other things that it could probably be as well, but I'll leave those suggestions to people who know more than me.

b

ebpda9
05-12-2002, 01:24 AM
have you checked your power steering fluid lately ? if the level was low did u fill it out with power steering for honda vehicles ? Try changing the fluid but make sure it's for honda cars only, not generic. if u put generic it will eat your gaskets.

cdawg1824
05-12-2002, 03:14 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by spoogenet
It sounds like it must be something in your wheel system if it's independent of whether the engine is turning or not.

Does it disappear or get worse when you get on the brakes? Have you checked your brake pads recently? The pads could have issues, or your calipers could be causing the pad to slightly rub the rotors which could cause a squeel.

There are many other things that it could probably be as well, but I'll leave those suggestions to people who know more than me.

b [/QUOTE

I am sure its not the brakes cuz it does it even when i am not braking i will check the power steering tomarrow. I didn't even think of that.

spoogenet
05-12-2002, 10:01 AM
Power steering won't make noise when the car is turned off, though, and you said that the squeel still happens when the car's off and rolling.

It theoretically could be the brakes, because if the caliper pistons are sticking and not releasing the pads enough the pads will continue to be in contact with the rotors even though you're not applying the brakes. I'm not saying that is your issue, though, but it may be worth looking at your brake system.

b