PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!!! I want to compete with a 2001 GSR...

LSintegra
05-10-2002, 05:58 PM
Hey guys, here is the story. A couple weeks ago I purchased my 1999 Acura Integra LS Coupe, its a manual 5-speed. A few days after that, a guy that is always trying to out do me goes and gets a 2001 Acura Integra GSR Coupe with a manual 5-speed. His car has a cold air intake, cat-back exhaust, and a header. My car is stock. I want to know if it is possible for my LS to beat his GSR ever? We are even in driving skill, but my stock LS just doesn't make enough power to run with his lightly modded GSR. Now, I currently have $800 to spend on mods for my LS. I will have more after my paycheck, but we will keep the budget to $800 for right now. What I need from you guys is a list of mods and where I can find the best prices on those parts. Also, about how much HP I will be getting from each mod. Remember, right now I am limited to $800. Thanks a million in advance. Later.

TruHeel142
05-11-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by LSintegra
Hey guys, here is the story. A couple weeks ago I purchased my 1999 Acura Integra LS Coupe, its a manual 5-speed. A few days after that, a guy that is always trying to out do me goes and gets a 2001 Acura Integra GSR Coupe with a manual 5-speed. His car has a cold air intake, cat-back exhaust, and a header. My car is stock. I want to know if it is possible for my LS to beat his GSR ever? We are even in driving skill, but my stock LS just doesn't make enough power to run with his lightly modded GSR. Now, I currently have $800 to spend on mods for my LS. I will have more after my paycheck, but we will keep the budget to $800 for right now. What I need from you guys is a list of mods and where I can find the best prices on those parts. Also, about how much HP I will be getting from each mod. Remember, right now I am limited to $800. Thanks a million in advance. Later.

First off congrats on getting a teg and welcome to HS!

Now, with $800, let me just end this....there is nothing you can do that'll get you anywhere close to his power if he has i/h/e already. trust me, I've got i/e and I MAY be about at 150 hp in my 97 rs.....so honestly and truthfully there is only 3 ways you are going to be able to one up him:
-supercharger
-turbo
-engine swap( i wouldn't do, cause hybrids aren't cost efficent)

and the problem with these three things are $ $ $ $ $ $ $. So my advice, which you will probably be getting from most eveeryone else on this board, is to save up for a while. Don't fool yourself, if you decide to go the N/A rout with i/h/e, cams, flywheels, and etc, you'll wind up spending double or triple or more of your $800 and only be at about his power.

The point is, if your serious about having a teg that'll stomp a gsr, turbo or supercharging are your only options. Save up $3000 or $4000 and buy one, and you'll instantly be boosting upwards of 200 hp. Good luck, and again welcome to our board!

tightteg52
05-13-2002, 08:09 AM
Nitrous!! plain and simple nitrous!! you can get a get for 500 bucks get intake nitrous and install! nitrous is the bes bang for the buck when your on a budget!

TruHeel142
05-13-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by tightteg52
Nitrous!! plain and simple nitrous!! you can get a get for 500 bucks get intake nitrous and install! nitrous is the bes bang for the buck when your on a budget!

Nitrous fawks up the engine, and is hard to use. One of my uncle's friend's tried nitrous on his car and he had to get a new engine. Maybe he used it wrong, but I'd be kinda scared to use it. And with $800 u'd only be able to use nitrous a couple of times before u'd need a refill which is more $ $ $ $ $. Do you not agree its sorta dumb to waste time on the N/A route???? I found that out too late, or I wouldn't of got my intake. Best thing IMO is get exhaust, and then save $ $ $ $

blownteggy
05-14-2002, 11:57 AM
nitrous is the best bang for buck...$800 is more than enough for the parts and install time. number one rule when doing huge upgrades is fuel. you are going to need to start using 92-91 octane, upgrade the fuel pump and fuel filter. toss in a B&M Fpr AEM fuel rail. run a step colder in sparkplugs. upgrade ignition.

TruHeel142
05-14-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by blownteggy
nitrous is the best bang for buck...$800 is more than enough for the parts and install time. number one rule when doing huge upgrades is fuel. you are going to need to start using 92-91 octane, upgrade the fuel pump and fuel filter. toss in a B&M Fpr AEM fuel rail. run a step colder in sparkplugs. upgrade ignition.

all that + nitrous kit & installation for $800?????

blownteggy
05-14-2002, 03:08 PM
it can be done...zex kit: $500
b&m fpr $60
aem fuel rail: $134
sparkplugs : $15