PDA

View Full Version : Hesitation during acceleration

Triggedy
05-02-2002, 02:11 PM
Hey all, back with another little issue with the Civic...it's the '96 hatch DX this time, and it's not incorrect plug wire order :)

When I'm accelerating it feels like the power is inconsistent on up until about 3500 or so, like there are little depressions in the power curve...if looking at a dyno plot. Is this normal, it's noticeable, but not detrimental or a safety issue...just noticeably inconsistent.

The car has 85,000 miles, it's a non-vtec DX hatch...
Ignition timing is set to about 14 degrees BTDC (spec is 16).
NGK V-power plugs replaced and gapped to ~.0042 inches (1.1mm -- range is 0.0039 - 0.0043 inches). New Air filter and PCV valve. Distributor cap, rotor, and wires haven't been changed in a while, but aren't faulty. Just ran a tankfull of gas with Gumout fuel injector cleaner (Which fuel system/injector cleaner works the best?) And what's more, my mileage is only at about 33mpg on 97% highway trips (>60 miles at a shot!). I have the feeling that I'm overlooking something, or that something's amis.

There's the Q...any A's?!

Triggedy
05-02-2002, 02:12 PM
Oh, and the car is completely stock...no performance mods

ebpda9
05-02-2002, 02:55 PM
is there a specific range in which the car is doing it ? i think that the wires, rotor and dist cap need to be changed. look for wera inside the dist cap and if it has carbon deposits. also you might want to change the fuel filter.

blownteggy
05-02-2002, 03:03 PM
also try some injector cleaner.

Triggedy
05-02-2002, 03:39 PM
*The range is upto 3500, one of the first sentences.
*Already ran injector cleaner
*No wear (carbon tracking) on the dist. cap.
Yep, forgot to say I replaced the fuel filter about 8K ago, thanks for the reminder.

*= Already answered in my first post, please read it.

ebpda9
05-02-2002, 04:04 PM
then the only other thing is that you have a leak in the fuel injection system or the intake. have you checked the fuel pressure. you might have a faulty FPR.

sorry for the dumb answers above but i'm close to the finals week and i'm a bit stressed. i'm kind of on the edge of failing a class.

Triggedy
05-02-2002, 04:31 PM
Not being a dick, but it sounds like you could use some sleep if you're missing stuff like that...at least get your nose out of the books for a bit and go blow off some steam.

Hmmm, the fuel pressure regulator may be a good lead...the car has to crank a few times before it starts. Nice idea :) I'll give that a whirl sometime soon and let you know.

Good luck with ur final/s...seriously, go outside for a few minutes or somethin :)

ebpda9
05-02-2002, 04:53 PM
thanks.

if it has to cranck a few times it is something it the fuel system. have a pressure gauge and check the pressure. i know on my car the pressure has to be 36psi but for yours might be different.

i think i'll take a hike right now ;) . thanks for the advice