PDA

View Full Version : General Probs

jewbacca
03-26-2002, 01:27 PM
Couple things starting to tick me off with my car, looking to get some advice
1. Idle is about 900 when engine is warm. Stick the clutch in, RPM's drop to dangerously low levels, causing shudders and sometimes stalling. I've heard anything from a timing belt, to a new clutch to replacing the idle controller, not too sure what to try first.
2. Clutch is getting "stuck". Petal litterally doesn't move after I take it down. Can't shift very easily. Gotta stomp on it repeatedly to get it back up. Could be clutch fluid? New clutch?

Thanks in advance!

ebpda9
03-26-2002, 02:11 PM
the idle is normal for a car. what kind of car do u have ? for an accord the idle should be 700-750. As for the clkutch goes i think you will need a new one.

jewbacca
03-26-2002, 02:21 PM
4th gen lude. Its not the idle im worried about. When I push in the clutch, RPM's drop to 0, causing a stall. As far as I know, RPM's arent supposed to drop when a clutch is depressed.
:no:

ebpda9
03-26-2002, 11:15 PM
hmm that sounds interesting.

cbrennan
04-18-2002, 07:58 PM
Clutch problem sounds like your loosing fluid. Check the clutch master. See if it's full. Look under dash at pedal assembly(where pedal comes through firewall) to see if there is fluid on matting. Also check slave cylinder for leakage. Both are easy to replace.

Does car idle normal other than when you push clutch in?
How's your battery? Alternator charging properly?

Chris

black95gs-t
04-25-2002, 01:19 PM
i know you have a lude, but that sounds like a common problem with the 2g turbo dsm's called crankwalk. its where the crankshaft has play in it and it moves back and forth inside the engine. do you hear any knocking at all when you press the clutch? i would check all of the clutch stuff like they said first though. that would be much easier to fix.

EX_AutoXer
04-26-2002, 09:13 AM
i had a problem like that with one of my jetta's... i first replaced the hydraulics, which helped some - but then it took me another year to figure out that the idle control valve wasn't functioning properly - so it compounded the problem. definitely check the hydraulics, because it may be putting to much load on the engine, causing it to stall.

blind34_1
05-09-2002, 09:24 PM
I have the same problem with an rpm drop when clutch is in. It doesn't drop to zero, but at idle it 'll drop about 200 from where it was. I wondered about temperature, heat shield, etc. but its all just a guess.