PDA

View Full Version : Horsepower Calculation?

Addict
03-21-2002, 09:42 PM
I've searched everywhere for an equation to figure front wheel horsepower and found nothing. I've found a TON of rear wheel calculators. Does anyone know the equation to figure a vehicles HP based on ET, trap speeds, etc? I will make my own frickin' calculator.

Any ideas on where to look for the equation?

AzCivic
03-21-2002, 10:29 PM
I'm sure its pretty much the same as rwd cars except our loss of power through the drivetrain is about 5-10% less. Try http://www.smokemup.com/utilities/calc/hp_et.cfm

Addict
03-22-2002, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by AzCivic
I'm sure its pretty much the same as rwd cars except our loss of power through the drivetrain is about 5-10% less. Try http://www.smokemup.com/utilities/calc/hp_et.cfm

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Finally one that works! The ones for the RWD kept tellin me I had 135HP at the wheels & 185 at the flywheel.:eek: I was like I wish......

AzCivic
03-22-2002, 09:36 AM
You're welcome, I'm glad it worked for ya.
I have a question though, How do you make that qoute thing in your response, I see everyone doing it and i can't figure it out.

Addict
03-22-2002, 10:03 AM
You're welcome, I'm glad it worked for ya.
I have a question though, How do you make that qoute thing in your response, I see everyone doing it and i can't figure it out.

Goto User CP ----> Edit Profile

Its the "Stuff" section......

Addict
03-22-2002, 10:04 AM
So does anyone know the actual equation to calculate the HP from the ET or MPH?

94_AcCoRd_EX
03-22-2002, 01:05 PM
How do you make that qoute thing in your response, I

Like this?

Look at the bottom right hand side of the post you want to quote and click the quote button. They you can edit it to look how you want it.

Addict
03-22-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX

Like this?

Look at the bottom right hand side of the post you want to quote and click the quote button. They you can edit it to look how you want it.

Perhaps this was what he meant.... I thought he meant the quotes under the names...

AzCivic
03-22-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Civic_Addict

Perhaps this was what he meant.... I thought he meant the quotes under the names...

Yeah the copying quotes thing was what i was talking about.
Thanks.

Mushroom
03-22-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Civic_Addict
So does anyone know the actual equation to calculate the HP from the ET or MPH?

This are pretty rough, but how about:
HP = ((MPH/235) ^ 3 ) * Weight (lbs)

This from HP = 550 ft*lb/s, 1/4 mi distance, no tire slippage or air resistance. The cube comes from deriving acceleration -> distance.

ebpda9
03-25-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Mushroom

This are pretty rough, but how about:
HP = ((MPH/235) ^ 3 ) * Weight (lbs)

This from HP = 550 ft*lb/s, 1/4 mi distance, no tire slippage or air resistance. The cube comes from deriving acceleration -> distance.

ummm i tried to do that and on my car @117mph (the top) ands i should get 431 hp and an accord engine will do that only in it's dreams

Mushroom
03-25-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by hondaman-iac

ummm i tried to do that and on my car @117mph (the top) ands i should get 431 hp and an accord engine will do that only in it's dreams

The MPH in the equation should be your speed at the end of the 1/4 mile (is this what's called the "trap speed"?). I agree, 431 hp would be pretty nice for an accord, but so would a 1/4 mi @ 117 mph. I think doing a HP calculation based on max speed would require knowing the car's frontal area, altitude, etc.

ebpda9
03-25-2002, 12:56 PM
sorry i tough that that was the formula at any speeds. and 421 hp *drools* i'll keep on dreaming :rolleyes: