PDA

View Full Version : high rpm b16a

tooslow91crx
03-20-2002, 11:26 AM
how fast can the stock jdm b16a bottom end spin with say some JUN high lift cams, springs, and retainers with the stock valves?

2ndGenTeg
03-20-2002, 03:22 PM
Stock redline. The achilles heel of the b16a is the rods and pistons. The B16A rods aren't all that strong because of the engine's good rod ratio- they don't have to be.

If you plan on running some aggressive cams from JUN, build your bottom end. They're gonna want a nice high redline (9800 or so) and high compression pistons. You're also gonna some ECU work (piggyback or otherwise) to move or remove the rev limiter, change your a/f mapping, and move your VTEC crossover point.

Mushroom
03-20-2002, 04:01 PM
Newbie question:

I've seen a few discussions of the motor's "bottom end". What does this mean? Which parts of the engine are included?

2ndGenTeg
03-21-2002, 01:22 AM
The shortblock ("block"): The crankcase, and everything contained inside: Rods, pistons, bearings, crank, cylinders, etc.

This does not include the cylinder head ("top end"): valvetrain (valves, valvesprings, retainers), camshafts, intake and exhaust ports, rocker assemblies, etc.

If you're ever engine shopping, the long block will usually include both the block and the head, and may or may not include intake and exhaust manifolds, the throttle body, or sensors. It almost never includes the transmission or ECU.

A complete swap will include everything: block, head, manifolds, transmission, throttle body, and ECU. Most of the time, it also comes with your sensors, although they have a tendency to get damaged in shipping, and it's usually up to you to replace them.

ebpda9
04-12-2002, 09:30 AM
why does he need to change the block ? aren't the internals enough ? (pistons, rings, main and rod bearings, and the crank ? ) i'm not the expert here but i don't see a reason for a new engine block. BTW how do u change the sleeves in a honda engine ?

2ndGenTeg
04-16-2002, 03:56 AM
He doesn't- Mushroom was just asking what it included, and I chose to overelaborate.

By sleeves I'm assuming you mean cylinders, and furthermore what is involved in the sleeving process.

Usually, the stock cylinders remain in place, and reinforcement is just dropped in around them, and in some cases welded in place.