PDA

View Full Version : getting a teg, need advice

BaDNaN
03-16-2002, 02:29 PM
im thinking about buying either a 94 ls (manual) or a 92 gs (auto), or maybe even a 92 gsr
what i want to know is which one had more mods. im looking to do 0-60 in ~5 and the 1/4mi in ~14.
any ideas?
i know ill probably need a turbo kit but dont know which one. im leaning towards the 92 gs (more money left over for mods)
thanks

2ndGenTeg
03-16-2002, 02:38 PM
I'd either get the 92 gsr (extremely hard to find, but the best DOHC VTEC engine ever, IMO), or the 94 LS (more displacement= faster with turbo).

You can hit 14s all motor easily, if you know what you're doing. Turbo would definitely be easier and cheaper, though.

2ndGenTeg
03-16-2002, 02:39 PM
BTW- Welcome to Honda Style.

BaDNaN
03-16-2002, 03:29 PM
i found a 92 gsr on auto trader and its in my price range too the only problem is that right now i split the insurance with my parents since im paying for school. and im thinkin that the insurance company might bump up my rates if i get the gsr,
also ive heard stuff about Ls/vtec, and wanted to know where i could find more info on it. thanks

BaDNaN
03-16-2002, 04:34 PM
i read up on ls/vtec and im pretty sure i dont want to do it.
how does a gsr with full motor hold up against a ls with turbo?
thanks

TruHeel142
03-16-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by BaDNaN
i read up on ls/vtec and im pretty sure i dont want to do it.
how does a gsr with full motor hold up against a ls with turbo?
thanks

Welcome!! Gsr all motor against a turbo ls w/ built bottom end = ls turbo definetely. And you have to decide on which body style u like best. Pistons, rods, cam gears/shafts, thats all expensive as h*ll. First, though, decide which body style, and then if u plan on turbo(which I'd recommend), get a LS not a GSR. LS has more turbo potential and is cheaper, saving u money towards the turbo. If ya have any questions, we're here to help. Good luck on getting a Teg!!!

tightteg52
03-16-2002, 10:07 PM
Get the ls if your lookin to spend less and get more. But If you wanna make a BEAST (which you dont) gsr fully built trbo to 15lbs thats a beast. But seriously if you get i/h/e cam gears/shafts,fpr,flywheel you hsould be in low 14s on either the gsr or ls. just gotta get the best of the best. when you get the car let us know we'll help you in any way we can! Oh and welcome to hondastyle. ERRRR i forgot DONT GET THE AUTO!! you will HATE IT trust me to much trouble to make it fast in a teggy. but if you hada large displacment v8 or a supra auto would be nice but ina i4(inline four) auto is tooo much trouble!

BaDNaN
03-17-2002, 04:19 AM
im probably gonna go towards ls, since the gsr would also bump insurance rates.
i plan to save up and get a turbo kit later on but i want to be able to put in a couple of mods before i set up the turbo, what do you guys recomend? im thinking an apexi n1 exhaust to start it off

2ndGenTeg
03-17-2002, 01:41 PM
Exhaust is pretty much the only thing you can do. An intake and header would just come off as soon as the turbo went in.

TruHeel142
03-17-2002, 08:19 PM
apex n1 and dunk, greddy evo, and tanabe racing medallion are all good exhausts. Just get anything but ractive and you're set!!!

C's 94 InTeGrA
03-18-2002, 07:52 AM
Ya go with the LS.. i just got mine about a month ago and i love the car... too bad my last car (DSM baby!) had more power! oh come on Truheel why u be disin Ractive? i have a bolt-on sectioon on my teg now and i love it...i am still saving up for the rest of it..

Chris
94 Integra

TruHeel142
03-18-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by C's 94 InTeGrA
Ya go with the LS.. i just got mine about a month ago and i love the car... too bad my last car (DSM baby!) had more power! oh come on Truheel why u be disin Ractive? i have a bolt-on sectioon on my teg now and i love it...i am still saving up for the rest of it..

Chris
94 Integra

You'll have a tough time finding a teg moderator that likes ractive. hehe, but for real, we only hate it cause a co-worker of ours has a ractive intake and muffler, and it basically sounds like a damn motorcycle.....maybe it sounds different and better on tegs, but on his civic its nasty as h*ll.

C's 94 InTeGrA
03-18-2002, 09:49 PM
Well it sounds good on my car.. its not too loud or too quiet its just right.. just a nice deep tone... and its only a rear section.. everyone likes that tone of exhasut i got casue most of eveyone else sounds like a semi truck! but its nice and looks good on the car .

Chris
94 Teg

tightteg52
03-18-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by C's 94 InTeGrA
Well it sounds good on my car.. its not too loud or too quiet its just right.. just a nice deep tone... and its only a rear section.. everyone likes that tone of exhasut i got casue most of eveyone else sounds like a semi truck! but its nice and looks good on the car .

Chris
94 Teg

The quote we must all remeber in the car world "to each his own" Im not a fan of getting somthing "for sounds" or "performance" parts for "looks" if you are gonna buy a performance part by one that has been tested and tuned! Aem has done extensive tuning on there intake. Apexi,greddy,tannabe. all tune there exhaust otherwise ppl wouldn't buy them! but like i've said "to each there own":smoking:

:smoking: (hondastyle and its moderators do not condone or permote smoking as stated by the surgeon general it can be hazardous to your health smoke at your own risk!) hehe i always wanted to say that

Integra221
04-09-2002, 11:04 AM
There is nothing wrong with the ls/vtec setup
I have agrgued this point several times. Yes, if you go turbo it will be much cheaper. But I like the LS/VTEC setup because it is more of a challenge. Its also more money but who cares. Anyone can take their car to a performance shop and say heres 4 grand put a turbo in my car, and run 13’s depending on the driver.

You have probely read the article about the r/s ratio being bad and all that but its really not that big of a problem if you don’t rev very high. I’ll agree it is a good article but heres something for you to look at all of thoughs who doubt the LS/VTEC look at this site.

LS/VTEC The Right Way! (http://www.importreview.com/reviews/lsvtec.html)