PDA

View Full Version : Im a new guy. Look at me shiny new clean. Like a car.

skylinegtr34dood
02-08-2002, 11:16 PM
Hey I'm the new guy here. I am 15 i will be 16 in march and I am a very very interested in cars. There is alot ta learn and I wanna learn it. I am hungry for knowledge here people. So if you have anything interesting to teach me or if u just wanna teach me then talk to me on aim at adidasmoves75 or yahoo at adidas_moves7586. So plzzz share your knowldege with me or if u jus wanna chat hit me back. -kyle

juvenile
02-08-2002, 11:27 PM
Hey kyle weclome aboard.
You see there is already lots of knowledge in the posts already posted! :)
You just have to goto the forum of your choice (the topic you want to learn about) and find a post with a title of what you want to learn.

Example, High Performance talks about Turbo's, Nitros, SuperChargers etc...Just find the appropriate forum

skylinegtr34dood
02-08-2002, 11:42 PM
thanx man. I appreciate it. Hey i got another question. What kinda car is good ta start out wiht?

Maxvla
02-09-2002, 12:07 AM
Welcome to HondaStyle...
Im sure diligent_dave will be along at some time to layout the hotel welcome... i'll spare you until then.

You have a question that is not easily answered. Ask 5 people here that and you'd likely get 5 different answers.

I drive an accord and am thus biased.
Accords are probly the most modded import cars with Civics very close behind.
If you are just starting out i would suggest one of those makes because there are more options for those than say a prelude or Integra. Though there are still many options for those.
If you are going to straight power you might wander into the Integra section and read up. they tend to start out with more power than the accords/civics.

the first things you will probably be interested in doing is i/h/e which in lamens terms is intake/headers/exhaust being fitted with more powerful products.
i/h/e is usually where most people (performance people) start because you dont hafta change anything else so you can buy them in pieces rather than spend major $$$ on say a turbo or nitrous system which entails upgrading or even changing your engine.

Most people centered on looks will probably start with clear lights or a wing maybe. those interested in sound (stereo system) will start out with a simple system cd deck 4-6 speakers (depending on your stock # of speakers) and maybe an amp and sub.
People that are interested in sound are not really bound when choosing a car because you get the same sound with the same equipment in any car (within reason). Looks is a whole different story but thats pretty obvious.

I guess i'll shut up now and let others chime in.

>>Later>>

94_AcCoRd_EX
02-09-2002, 01:01 AM
Welcome to HS. Keep searching the board, and you'll find tons of useful info. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have.

skylinegtr34dood
02-09-2002, 01:13 AM
I have really had my eye on civcs. And Ive noticed that there are the ex, lx, dx, hx, and si models. What is the diffrence? is it like the interior or engine or whats the deal their? I like civics because everything i have seen is available and easy to find and cheap to own. And they are japaneese cars and are very reliable and will last a long time, fule milage etc. how are mods gonna affect fuel milage by the way?

Maxvla
02-09-2002, 01:25 AM
luckily for a honda performance mods dont really change much for fuel economy... you might see a drop of say 5-8 mpg. but when you are starting in the high 20's-mid 30's who cares?

lineup of civic trim levels. as much as i know ( as an accord person)

DX- Basic Trim, crank windows, stereo probly not included, low power engine, but cheap as dirt.

LX-moderate level trim, power windows and locks are probly standard.

EX-most luxurious of the trim levels. might include sunroof, cd player nowadays, power everything. More power under the hood.

SI-Sport Tuned. Maximum stock power for a civic. every sport compact modders dream if they want a civic.

HX- im not really sure to be honest. i think its about the same as an LX.

skylinegtr34dood
02-09-2002, 01:45 AM
I see. SI's are really hard to find and are expensive I understand why now. What about the body. Are they the same or not? Could u put like a body kit for a 2000 LX on a 2000 SI for example?

Maxvla
02-09-2002, 01:57 AM
should be able to but check with the body kit manufacturer first.

SilverHX4Me
02-09-2002, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Maxvla

HX- im not really sure to be honest. i think its about the same as an LX.

no ... hx is right behind ex..

Welcome to the site ;) ;) ;)

Maxvla
02-09-2002, 02:40 AM
i was close... not bad for someone that doesnt pay much attention to civics...

my $.02

slowEJ6
02-09-2002, 04:20 AM
6g CX, DX, LX - D16Y7, 106hp
6g HX - D16Y5, 115hp
6g EX - D16Y8, 127hp
6g Si - B16A2, 160hp

the Si is not nearly at all what its cracked up to be. 15.7 stock? thats pathetic. good engine for a turbo though - but a D16Y7 model can be had for much cheaper and then you can swap and still save yourself money for some mods.

juvenile
02-09-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by hybrid3do0rcx
6g CX, DX, LX - D16Y7, 106hp
6g HX - D16Y5, 115hp
6g EX - D16Y8, 127hp
6g Si - B16A2, 160hp

the Si is not nearly at all what its cracked up to be. 15.7 stock? thats pathetic. good engine for a turbo though - but a D16Y7 model can be had for much cheaper and then you can swap and still save yourself money for some mods.

So you suggest that someone get a let's say LX, have an engine swap? And that will be cheaper than getting an Si?

skylinegtr34dood
02-09-2002, 03:08 PM
that is an excellent point thank you for showing me that. So you are saying that I can switch the d16y for a b16a2 and still be able to do all the mods that i can do to a b16a2 in an ex model civic. Would the dealer or person that I bought the b16a2 from buy my d16y from me to further lower my price?

4jacks
02-09-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by SilverHX4Me

no ... hx is right behind ex..

Welcome to the site ;) ;) ;)

No No No .... Well yes HX is right behind EX in price BUt HX is Better !!!

Oh Hi skylinegtr34dood, And welcome to the board.

The HX is something kinda different. DX is BASE, LX is BASICLY a BASE, the EX is "look mommy i have a sports Car" ... hehe j/k

HX is really different .... only comes in Coupe , has a VTEC-E which has a differnt multi point fuel injection system in it Called "lean burn"..... BLAH BLAH BLAH ... but you get 36/44 MPG !!!! WHoo Hooo..... Also you get a sporty engine with 117Hp and 111Torque compared to the DX and LX's 115hp and 110torque...And the EX only puts out 127hp and 114Torque.
(All numbers for 2002)
So I felt the EX wasn't worth the Money and bought the HX !!!!

And Skylinegtr34dood, I would say you are on the right track for a first car, think "FAMILY CAR" that you can Hook up and your insurance Company will only think "FAMILY CAR"
;) ;)

Patrick
4jacks
4jacks@mail.com

skylinegtr34dood
02-09-2002, 05:21 PM
hahaha yeah i know. thas kinda what i was thinkin. they dont know what im gonna do to it so what the hell lol. all they see is famaily car and my insuranucne is lowwwwwwwwwww. Ok HX is better than EX got it. But what about the whole putting the b16a2 engine in it? It kinda makes my mouth water when I think about doing that lol. Its like cheating HONDA out of a whole buncha money cuz I got the engine and power that I want for alot under the price of an SI.

toykilla
02-09-2002, 06:15 PM
Whats wrong with the Mitsubishi Eclipse man????? Get an ECLIPSE!! ECLIPSE ECLIPSE ECLIPSE ECLIPSE ECLIPSE!!!

skylinegtr34dood
02-09-2002, 06:18 PM
Hey dont get me wrong I LUV the 99 eclipse. The new one looks a little over done. I dont like it. But yeah I would get an eclipse in a heart beat if I could afford it. But *** decided not to bless me with money so i can't do it lol. Mebbe someday thouhg.

skylinegtr34dood
02-09-2002, 06:19 PM
by the way do u have a pic of your car?

skylinegtr34dood
02-10-2002, 12:29 PM
Hey what does DOHC mean? I've seen it alot and can't figure out what it means or what it does. :confused: :mad:

Maxvla
02-10-2002, 08:31 PM
double overhead cam... look it up... there should be a definitions thread here somewhere... i saw it a while back.

Racing Rice
02-11-2002, 01:08 PM
HX better then an EX?!?!?! hmm.. ok...

Get the EX.. first of all what model are you looking at? 5th Gen, 6th Gen? You will have a little easier time finding engine parts for the EX, like turbo kits and such. HX isnt a bad choice at all, but I prefer the EX, I really like the motor, I dont care much for the VTEC-E thing.. But thats me. Course you could always get an HX and swap the head later for an EX head, but thats upto you.

slowEJ6
02-11-2002, 04:03 PM
DOHC = Dual OverHead Cam :yes:

Maxvla
02-12-2002, 01:55 PM
dual, double. same difference.

Whtehnda93DXSdn
02-12-2002, 04:16 PM
welcome to HS.com..you should be able to learn alot from us here as we are all willing to lend a hand to a felow Honda Enthusiats...

:eek: :yes: ;) :)