PDA

View Full Version : oil spill

accordboy00
02-04-2002, 10:19 PM
I am now changing my own oil and have done it successfully twice before. Today, refilling my oil I forgot my funnel somewhere in my garage. Being the lazy fool that I am I thought that I could refill 5 qts of oil without a funnel. I was wrong. I ended up spilling a couple of ounces of oil onto my engine within a couple seconds. I realized that I need a funnel, so I got it and finished the job. I tried to clean as much of the engine as possible, but I couldn't reach everywhere. Now my car smells like burnt oil and the engine smokes a little. Will this eventually go away, or should I do a better job at cleaning the spilt oil? :confused:

azn_nite_ryder
02-04-2002, 11:24 PM
spray it off... then it should gradually go away... see now you know not to pour without a funnel:yes: ..... oh well at least you now know:)

ebpda9
02-05-2002, 10:07 AM
i wouldn't worry about it. the smell will go away in a couple of days. I spilled oil on my engine and on my exhaust few times.

94_AcCoRd_EX
02-05-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
i wouldn't worry about it. the smell will go away in a couple of days. I spilled oil on my engine and on my exhaust few times.

I agree, as long as you just spill a little, its no big deal. If you dumped quarts all over the engine bay, then you should clean it up :D

Accord Man
02-05-2002, 01:54 PM
wash it with a light soapy solution..

That smell is nasty and wont go away ina hurry.. So try to clean it up.

slowEJ6
02-05-2002, 02:40 PM
well see on my civic when i had changed the oil, the oil filter was placed in Guam so anytime i removed it, oil would go EVERYWHERE.....and itd get on the exhaust piping and smell for a couple hours but went away quickly and i didnt even bother to clean it up.

accordboy00
02-06-2002, 05:37 PM
Funny, my oil filter is in BFE, too.
Luckily the oil missed any hot parts on the way down. Anyways, the smell has already passed, so I'm not too worried any more.
I'd like to learn how to change my own transmission fluid, too? Is it possible to do at home? Can anyone explain how?