PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Jngrbrdman
01-04-2002, 05:23 PM
If you had $500 to do whatever you wanted to with then what would you do to your car? I thought about a couple things but I don't really know what would be worth it. I want to get it to stretch as far as it can. Any suggestions?

Accord Man
01-04-2002, 05:26 PM
What do you have on right now?

94_AcCoRd_EX
01-04-2002, 05:42 PM
Sup:yes: :pukey ;) :D :rolleyes: :eek: ;( :no: :| :cool: :)

Jngrbrdman
01-05-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
Well from you pics, I see you have an intake, but I couldn't make out an exhaust, so that's what I'd go with.

Could I get an exhaust that isn't loud? My whole goal on the car is to keep the outside looking stock. I get pulled over a lot but I can always talk myself out of either getting the ticket or I get it thrown out later. If I start putting an exhaust on my car then I can't claim that I always drive slow. ;) Would I be able to do something like cams or something like that to make the car faster but not louder?

The intake is pretty much all that I have had done. Everybody tells me to drop my car but I dropped my Mustang and I really missed the ride it had before. I don't like getting scraped up on driveways and bottoming out on speed bumps. I like the smooth ride I have. Is there a way to keep the smooth ride without feeling every bump in the road and still lower it a little?

94_AcCoRd_EX
01-05-2002, 04:05 PM
Most (if not all) exhausts are fairly loud, at least noticably louder than stock. I think the Thermal R&D stealth is one of the quieter ones out there.

As for dropping, if you get a quality set of struts and springs, you should be ok. You really should replace the struts too to get the best performance and ride quality.

Accord Man
01-06-2002, 01:50 PM
If you want to keep you exterior looking oem, then dont change the exhaust.. It isnt going to do much for power.

94_ACC. is correct, you're not going to have much comfort if you lower the car on oem shocks.

If you'Re looking for real power, then maybe you should save up and get a small turbo.

Or maybe start working on a small sound system.. If you're into that.

:)

94_AcCoRd_EX
01-06-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Accord Man

If you'Re looking for real power, then maybe you should save up and get a small turbo.

Wouldn't the turbo really benefit from an exhaust though? I know exhaust gains in an FI system are considerable. I don't see too many turbo setups with a stock exhaust.

Accord Man
01-06-2002, 02:32 PM

Wouldn't the turbo really benefit from an exhaust though? I know exhaust gains in an FI system are considerable. I don't see too many turbo setups with a stock exhaust.

I guess it would benifit (though only a little), but probably not to the extent that people tend to think.. In reality, The OEM exhaust isnt that restrictive and EVIL as everyone says.

Trev, did you ever figure this one out. Some peeps get a good quality exhaust (keeping the same cat), and say they've made good hp gains.
Whats the hell's up with that?! The catalytic converter restricts flow so much more than the exhaust itself (muffler).

94_AcCoRd_EX
01-06-2002, 06:52 PM
Trev, did you ever figure this one out. Some peeps get a good quality exhaust (keeping the same cat), and say they've made good hp gains.
Whats the hell's up with that?! The catalytic converter restricts flow so much more than the exhaust itself (muffler).

Yeah, I hear ya on that one. People really have to upgrade the whole system to get true gains.

Well in that case, maybe you (Jngrbrdman) would like to just put in a high flow cat and leave the rest of the exhaust stock (fairly small gains but leaves it looking stock).

Accord Man
01-07-2002, 04:11 PM
At the current moment, thats what I have.

94_AcCoRd_EX
01-07-2002, 05:10 PM
At the current moment, thats what I have.

So you just have a high flow cat and stock muffler? Did you notice any difference in power, or just sound?

Accord Man
01-07-2002, 07:52 PM

So you just have a high flow cat and stock muffler? Did you notice any difference in power, or just sound?

No difference in both..
I think..

Well, I think I had a slightly better throtle response. But without the Dyno, I wont state it as a fact. Another thing, is that it did do a little bit for fuel economy.. So I guess it did add a little performance.

94_AcCoRd_EX
01-07-2002, 09:39 PM

No difference in both..
I think..

Well, I think I had a slightly better throtle response. But without the Dyno, I wont state it as a fact. Another thing, is that it did do a little bit for fuel economy.. So I guess it did add a little performance.

Sorry for the 20 questions... but does it make a nice deep sound like most of us want out of our exhausts, or is it kind of raspy? Also, did you install it yourself?

Thanks

Accord Man
01-08-2002, 07:27 AM

Sorry for the 20 questions... but does it make a nice deep sound like most of us want out of our exhausts, or is it kind of raspy? Also, did you install it yourself?

Thanks

No prob man.. Thats what the board is for..

After changing the cat, I didnt notice any idfference in tone.. But a couple of weeks after doing that, I had my exhaust manifold grinded and polished.. Now with the combination of the two, the tone is much deeper. But only when revving higher. You start to notice it at 3k and it gets louder as RPM climbs.

I could have installed it myself, no biggie.. But I still went to my tuner/friend.

:)

Integra221
01-31-2002, 11:12 AM
I think that the best way for you to get the most power out of a stock exhaust would be to gain high rpm's. To do this you will need to get new camshafts and cam gears (Todas are good) also a new ecu (mugen or b16 ecu) in order to get higher revs. However, high revs are bad if you don't set your car up right. So you might want to consider JDM type r pistons and rods. Also if you have the money and can find a place that will do it have your block re-sleved corectly. This should also raise your compression somewhere in the 11's so you could most likely rev around 8,800. Also you may eventually want a vtec controller this way you can fine tune your vtec to kick at the right rpms. Since the gsr already has a lot of bottom end torque i think that this would be a good way for you to go.

I know that this is a little much but just save up and do it right and your car with be a beast.

Chris :yes:

TruHeel142
01-31-2002, 08:26 PM
Talking about turbo's........I may decide to turbo up my car this XMAS time so I'm starting to build up my bottom end, but from my understanding, u shouldn't add a turbo kit if u have stock internals. Stock internals won't let u use much boost. So if ya want to crank up the boost higher to get better, MUCH better speeds, then u should probably throw on an intake and exhaust, plus other bottom end mod's. Not headers, of course.