PDA

View Full Version : vtec this, vtec that, vtec vtec vtec

GSRwBOOST
12-05-2001, 02:59 PM
Ok, perhaps I need some help understanding the "vtec ".. *flame suit on*

A kid that sold me my GSR in Cerritos Acura "vtec is naaauuuuuuiiiiicccccceeee"

numereous riceboys "I hit vtec and it was all over" or "once I hit vtec I reeled them back in and put a lengh on them"

misinformed riceboys tuner "vtec isn't good for turbo"

VTEC ain't shit !

vtec is the manufacturer/engineers way of giving you good gas mileage down low and moving the torque/hp curve up higher during higher rpm driving/racing.

1. vtec is not the miracle cure

Yes it helps move the hp/tq curve up to higher rpm levels but your not gaining that much.. examine the dyno chart!

2. vtec won't give you so much hp that you reel in a torque producing Mustang GT and pass him if he's already powering away from you.

translation: it's not a 50 shot of juice, turbo or supercharger

3. vtec is good for a turbo, again see dyno chart, specifically at vtec crossover (ONLY TIME you will really see vtec do anything)

you'll notice hp increase dramatically at crossover w/ FI

Anyone who uses vtec in thier story looses points IMHO.

4. IF ONE more person confuses a 4500 vtec crossover for the 6k rpm IAB opeing... I think I'll puke!!!!

vtec is barely audible for those of you without it and for those with it as well, that sound you hear is the secondaries opeing up to allow more/faster moving air in to give you more hp.

The only mod I ever did that allowed me to hang with the big boys was a 75shot nitrous kit and now the turbo... at no time in any race have i mentioned vtec, referred to it or touted it as the miracle "honda" cure.

I guess those pushrod V-8's are inferior becuase they produce more hp and torque without any damn vtec?

Hello McFly?? Is anyone home??

vtec :rolleyes:

Racing Rice
12-05-2001, 03:07 PM
VTEC and turbo are different??? Man why didnt sme one tell me that... ;)

Really, you have a very good point, and another accurate article. ::yes::

MrDX
12-05-2001, 04:32 PM
vtec was a nice idea gone wild... this is why i chose to go non-vtec in my build up to show that it can get it done.

laughin2.2
12-05-2001, 04:36 PM
H22a1<----2.2 L VTEC 190 hp
H23a <-----2.3 L non-VTEC 160 hp

30 extra hp is nice to have.

vtecfetish
12-05-2001, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by MrDX
vtec was a nice idea gone wild...

VTEC isn't original anymore, other car manufacturers have come up with their own versions (i.e. Toyota's VVTi). in short, VTEC is a cliche that has gone old. heck, even Honda themselves had to rename it into i-VTEC.

90civiclxryder
12-05-2001, 07:44 PM
damn you ruined my dreams. lol. yea i agree some people think vtec is too much, but its still good to have

RxR_Eclipse
12-05-2001, 08:47 PM
I think that isuzu had it first. I did talk to a guy who bought a new rsx-s and he says the vtec is really something that you can feel kick in>he did also mention that it dosent kick in till high rpms.

ChrisCantSkate
12-05-2001, 09:27 PM
ok, i 100% agree that vtec isnt gonna pull you back from loosing to a v8, but what vtec does do, is alows for your engine to have 2 separate power bands, one for low rpm's and one for high. vtec is however noticable on my car, i dont care what u think of me for saying this, or if you belive me or not, but if i set my crossover point at 4700rpms, theres a slight sound engaging, and a tiny bit harder pull, because im engaging at a spot where the 2 power bands are close together, try setting vtec engagment to 5800, its a kcik when the upper lobes engage. i know vtec being bad for turbos is a mith, or at least for street cars, because i know many many people who run turboed vtec np. vtec may or may not be hondas gift to the automotive world, but it is nice, i think that it does a good job at what is is designed to do, like you said, good gas milage in lower rpms, and good performance in upper. on a stock engine vtec isnt too noticable, but after a full exaust from headers back, and intake, it can be herd and felt. friends next to me have herd it while racing. you cannot tell me that after hitting vtec your car dosnt pull harder, well a n/a engine, i know turbos have different powerbands. i agree with some of what u say, but saying vtec is a trend, and that it isnt any noticable power? sorry, no comprehendo there. like mentioned, 160hp 2.3 vs. a 190 hp 2.2 or a 140hp 1.8 vs a 170 or190hp. im not a vtec follower or anything, but the numbers do speak for themselves.

ebpda9
12-05-2001, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by vtecfetish

VTEC isn't original anymore, other car manufacturers have come up with their own versions (i.e. Toyota's VVTi). in short, VTEC is a cliche that has gone old. heck, even Honda themselves had to rename it into i-VTEC.

actually honda has a variable lift control to thheir vtec wich will slightly open the valves, creating a swirl wich will allow for a better combustion. For totyota's vvti the valves are either opened or closed, no middleway

Accord Man
12-06-2001, 08:08 AM
LOL

do you know how many people's dreams you've just destroyed!!!

::yes:: ;)

97lude
12-06-2001, 02:44 PM
**yawn** your posts are starting to bore me GSRwboost. They all sound the same. All the true enthusiats know that vtec isn't all that it is hailed to be by the rice world. I don't think your bursting anyones bubble in here, and if you did they should get out.

toykilla
12-06-2001, 02:54 PM
wow..nice kill man..much props

TragikTSi
12-06-2001, 07:56 PM
lol good topic.......

i just joined the "Vtec This" car club around here with my Cavalier, downside the guy with the probe I beat is in it.

slowEJ6
12-10-2001, 04:52 PM
i like twin turbo ;) :cool:

bret
12-24-2001, 10:59 PM
dude. in the long run VTEC isnt good for turbo.

the longer the valves are open the more over lap and your BOOST goes out the TAIL PIPE. so what now?

do you think papadakis has VTEC? NO.

sure. VTEC might be good with low levels of boost.

Do supras have VTEC? NO.

CombatKit47
01-20-2002, 10:49 AM
they look nice:P

juvenile
01-23-2002, 09:22 PM
BOOOOO are you telling me that the VTEC sticker on the back of my chrysler isn't going to give me that extra 40 hp like this rice boy at my school said? :confused: :no: ;( :o :mad: ;)

Incubus
02-01-2002, 04:19 PM
Keep in mind VTEC only kicks in when you hit the upper reaches of RPM's, and most of your useful hp and torque are in the mid-range, which is the saving grace of the Integra LS engine.
I have test driven a few different VTEC cars, namely the GSR and the new Preludes. I almost was gonna trade my LS in for either a GSR or a Type R, but when I test drove the GSR, I didn't even notice when it crossed over into VTEC, it just felt as if the engine was a bit more beefy in stock trim than mine was.

Once I slammed some mods on my LS, it felt just the same as the GSR. The prelude I actually felt the VTEC crossover, as all of a sudden the engine's pitch went up.
I can sometimes tell when VTEC kicks in on cars next to me, sometimes not, that's how I usually tell if someone is trying to race me, because I'll hear the VTEC crossover and take notice. It isn't always noticeable on all cars though.

Top end horsepower is kick ass, but that's all it is, top end, it's the end of the line. It's nice to know where your car stands on the top end, but the most useful power is midrange. Don't get me wrong, you want your top end to be better than your midrange, but you need good hp and torque throughout the entire powerband.

GSRwBOOST
02-01-2002, 04:34 PM
honestly i dont think it's the crossover your hearing.. it's rather quiet... you might hear the air intake making more noise... but honestly... i have never heard "vtec"....

i have heard the IAB open up at ~6-6500, but thats it..

Incubus
02-01-2002, 06:23 PM
I'm not saying I specifically heard "VTEC" kick in, but in many VTEC engines, the engine note changes once it hits VTEC. It usually sounds like it's opening up, getting a bit louder, working a little harder, going higher up in pitch.

I couldn't tell in the GSR, which is why I didn't get one. In the Prelude I almost bought, I could totally tell when I hit VTEC. I think if you've driven a newer Prelude, you can't argue with me there because it's really obvious at the crossover point.

b16CRX
02-02-2002, 10:43 PM
Steph Papadakis runs 2 cars, 2 civics, one hatch and one 2001 coupe. Both are powered by the H22A engine, with T88 ball bearing turbos. No vtec killer cams, just full race cams. the motor still has vtec.

Incubus
02-03-2002, 01:46 PM
VTEC is cool, but it's not the universal cure all for Honda's. Don't doubt that I would probably rather have a VTEC engine than nonVTEC but people who look down on non VTEC and totally dis it, they are just starstruck by VTEC and don't see the posibilities of, say, an LS engine.
I'd rather have a GSR engine, but since I have an LS, I'm cool without having the VTEC. I almost got a VTEC head swap, but then I read the article on this web page about the dangers of a VTEC head swap, but if all the VTEC fans out there want a really cool engine, just throw a GSR head on an LS bottom end and you have the best of both worlds, just make sure you know what your doing when building up the bottom end to withstand the swap.

Incubus
02-13-2002, 08:26 PM
GSRwBoost, I'm sorry you had to deal with the morons at Cerritos Acura! I first went there to get a Teg, but the stupid saleswoman actually told me that a GSR is a 6 cylinder engine! Now if that doesn't take the cake, I don't know what does!
I ended up getting mine from Canyon Acura, and got a sweeter deal than the monkeys at Cerritos...............did you happen to go to the mini Honda show at Cerritos Honda in September? It was actually pretty sweet.

GSRwBOOST
02-14-2002, 12:19 AM
I was there in the same line as the supercharged S2k, about 5 cars down..

there was the s2k, ssb turbo gsr, white turbo teg, blue si, and then me.... the only red turbo gsr there i believe..

Incubus
03-01-2002, 12:42 PM
I remember your car then.....I was definitely checkin' it out. I was trippin' on the turbo SI also. There's was some white CRX or older Civic hatchback w/ Type R engine swap that looked pretty cool.

I wasn't expecting too many cars there, especially nice ones, but I was surprised to see all the turbo engines and many S2k's.

GSRwBOOST
03-01-2002, 12:48 PM
Yea there were a lot of cool cars there.. and I think Ryan (vtecvoodoo) could pull a couple dozen turbo cars out of his hat at a moments notice if needed.. LOL

Incubus
03-08-2002, 02:28 PM
I need to pull at least 1 turbo car outta my hat at a moment's notice! I'd be happy with that!

NissanRacer
03-09-2002, 12:44 AM
2002 MOLTEN SILVER SPECV w/sunroof- STOCK-$18,000 (1 month old)
KILL LIST-
IS300 (very close race but I won)
INTEGRA-typeR (close but, sorry, no cigar for the typeR)
INTEGRA-(regular) about 5
CIVIC--(um, well let's just say they have all tried (wings 10ft high, turboed,intake this, intake that, no seats,headers, and all that VTEC garbage.)and they have all sucome to the power of NISSAN.
ACCORD-V6- (coupe and sedan w/mods- 1995 and 1996 (not the new ones)
RSX-(not type S)
I am not trying to start an argument- these races are true and the SPECV is Fast- can't wait to race a NEW Si and any Prelude I can find (i should lose to the prelude right?). it'll be fun. Anyway-peace

Matrix
03-09-2002, 03:49 PM
I think this thread has served its purpose....