PDA

View Full Version : skunk2

qwikenuf
12-01-2001, 05:19 PM
anyone running the skunk2 intake mainfold on their gsr's?

TruHeel142
12-01-2001, 07:43 PM
Your gonna have a hard time finding anyone that has. Wish I could help you, but of course I don't have a GSR ::no::

Boosted3g
12-02-2001, 10:01 AM
I got one on my LS. If it is anything like the LS one id go for it and get that dual runner manifold out of there. There are better out there but for the price its hard to pass it over.

rollin
12-03-2001, 02:01 PM
awesome manifolds they make a big difference, my friend has one on his ls with a gsr swap in it, he loves it. I would highly reccomend it.

qwikenuf
12-04-2001, 02:32 PM
i'm still debating....not sure between the skunk or the itr....

rollin
12-04-2001, 11:51 PM
you will not be dissappointed, if i spelled that right.
you will love it, its worth the money

2ndGenTeg
12-05-2001, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by qwikenuf
i'm still debating....not sure between the skunk or the itr....

They're identical. The only difference is that the Skunk is already drilled to fit your GSR.

B16A=Skunk2 B18C=B18C5

It will help. It you get it, I would also recommend a large bore throttle body. With an intake and intake manifold in place, the throttle body will create a bottleneck in your system.

(Arbitrary numbers)
Larger bore throttle body=5 hp
Larger bore intake manifold= 5 hp
Larger bore throttle body + Larger bore intake manifold= 15 hp

On their own, both will help a little, but will perform better than their sum total when used as a system.

qwikenuf
12-07-2001, 01:42 PM
i've got an AEM on it now....it'll have to come off though.
ITR intake is the one that matches up to the manifold....2 3/4 vs. 3".
i've read different things on throttle diameter as well....some guys say 64 mm others say go all out with the 68!

2ndGenTeg
12-07-2001, 03:29 PM
The reason is because you want to keep the right balance of air pressure and air flow. If the intake piping is too small, it doesn't flow enough air. If it is too large, it drops the air density and you end up with less than adequate pressure on the butterfly. Ever wonder why the AEM makes more power at 2 3/4" than the Injen at 3"? Now you know.

It's all about the ratio of the diameter of the intake pipe to the diameter of the throttle plate. This depends on the amount of A/F the car can move, which varies depending on redline and cam grind (among other things).

For a B18C with a stock redline and stock cams, you want the ratio to be somewhere between 1.15 and 1.2.

For the AEM Intake:
Intake: 2.75" = 70 mm
Throttle Body: 60 mm
70/60= 1.17

So if you want to go with a 3" intake (Injen or AEM Type R), you would need:
Intake: 3" = 76.5 mm
Throttle Body: 63.75 - 66.5 mm
76.5/63.75= 1.2; 76.5/66.5= 1.15

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about a larger throttle body, intake, and intake manifold until after I had the cams to utilize them. Your engine as it sits with the stock cams doesn't breathe enough air to necessitate opening it all up. I would take this money and invest in some camshafts, cam gears, and some dyno time to have it tuned. Then it would be worth it.

If this is something you absolutely have to do right now, I would forget getting a new throttle body. OEM throttle bodies can be bored out up to 4 mm. Have it bored to 64 mm. Whatever manifold you decide on should be ported, as well as the intake ports to remove any bottlenecks. Then you'll have some really good groundwork to put in camshafts to utilize the breathing capacity you've created.

Catch my drift?

Gee3
12-08-2001, 02:50 AM
My friend has one on his GSR. The bottom end is shit but he has a whole lot of top end to make up for the lacking bottom end power. I don't remember what #'s he pulled on the dyno though. I think in the 170's to the wheels range with ITR cams, gears, AEM CAI, Comptech header and Apexi exhaust. He is planning on an ITR TB and a JDM header/carsound cat. The larger tubing of the JDM header should help him a lot as well as with the TB.

He said it was a PITA installing it though.

qwikenuf
12-08-2001, 02:23 PM
the cams are going in, but after this work gets done....
boring is always a risk, i've done it before, and found that i had problems with valve sticking on my last gsr.
this time, a new one is going in....

as for porting the manifold and the intake heads....you don't want to do that.
the manifold is already sized up to accept the extra inflow, and porting the intake heads creates backflow....there wouldn't be any need for it.