PDA

View Full Version : Rear strut bars... How much do they really help??

Jngrbrdman
12-01-2001, 12:29 PM
I'm looking to get a rear strut bar in my teg 4 door. I like cornering fast. ;) Do they really help? Is there a difference in a cheap bar and an expensive bar?? I want one that looks like my ITR front bar but I can't find one for less than 145. :eek:

OneDopeTeg
12-01-2001, 08:51 PM
anything that can tie together suspension components has to help at least a little....as far as price goes....I have found one thing in this life ALWAYS holds true and that is....you get what you pay for! :)

Jngrbrdman
12-02-2001, 01:18 PM
I agree that you get what you pay for but what if you overpay? Does that mean it will work better than the guy that paid 50 bucks less for the same part? I don't know what a strut bar is worth. I've seen em sell for 200 bucks and I've seen em for 15 bucks. How can you tell if it is a 'cheap' bar and not just an inexpensive one?

OneDopeTeg
12-02-2001, 04:31 PM
ok first off....the best designs are the ones that are one solid piece....it makes sense that the more "joints" that are held together via bolts--the weaker the bar will be. DC bars for example are hinged on both ends....this hinged area is the weakest part of the bar and while the addition of a DC bar will improve handling....it wont improve it as much as a bar from Benen, Mugen or Neuspeed all of which feature solid construction. If you want a strut bar....go for the solid ones they will help the most! Here is the benen bar http://www.benen.com/products/suspension/rear_strut.html I personally believe that benen is making some of the best quality bars at the best prices....check out their full line! Neuspeed only makes a solid front strut bar so that doesnt help you....and Mugen....I personally have not seen the Mugen rear strut bar but I have seen 2 different pictures of it....one pic shows it as two pieces (jdmhondaparts.com) and another pic shows it as one piece (king motorsports website). Hope that helps a little :)

SWIFT
12-02-2001, 07:46 PM
if you really like to corner fast, get an aftermarket swaybar..i did this to my teg and im never going back to stock swaybar...i have the progress 22mm right now but if you want, go w/ the type r sway bar (i thinks its about 21mm) they say it's the best...and dont forget your shocks/springs.. goodluck..

OneDopeTeg
12-02-2001, 09:00 PM
the addition of a set of swaybars is a definete help....the ultimate suspension has upgraded sway bars, full coilover setup, strut bars front and back and lower tie bars front and back. That would make for one tight ass ride. :)