PDA

View Full Version : B16A pistons

qwikenuf
11-29-2001, 06:08 PM
just wondering if anyones done the swap into the B18C5....

tightteg52
11-29-2001, 09:32 PM
no but that sounds like it could be interesting hmm anyone have a type r engine they wanna donate to test it on:cool:

2ndGenTeg
11-30-2001, 10:20 AM
Why in the world would anyone drop B16A pistons into a B18C5? That's going to lower compression and cost you power. In addition, all Type R pistons come with two things other pistons don't: a moly coat (to reduce friction and heat), and more oil holes (for higher RPMs). Do yourself a favor and stick with the Type R pistons. You could, however, switch over to the CTR pistons to give yourself a CR of 11.6:1 (a full point over stock- hope you have access to race gas). If you wanted something a little more streetable, You could go with the P73 (JDM ITR) and get a CR of 11.1:1 (would probably run on premium- but not guaranteed!). Keep in mind that when you swap pistons from one engine to another, that the compression ratio will not stay the same- either with the same head or the same pistons. For example, using a JDM P73 ITR and PCT B16B CTR in a GS-R head will give different compression ratios: ~11.3 and ~11.8, respectively. This is fairly common knowledge. However, what many people don't know is that compression ratios can change using the same piston, from one head to the next. For example, take the same JDM P73 ITR piston, and put it in a B16A and a B18C: ~10.6 and ~11.3, repectively. This is due to the different volumes in the quench areas between the different heads. So stick with the Type R pistons, and pick just about any compression ratio you want. The beauty of B series is that the things are like Legos.

SWIFT
11-30-2001, 01:24 PM
i believe he's right...ITR has a very nice bottom setup... it's almost bulletproof so just stick w/ that..unless you're going for 18psi F/I.

qwikenuf
11-30-2001, 09:34 PM
my bad guys....typo on my part....musta been dreaming...

i meant the b18C1...gsr motor
:sleep:

2ndGenTeg
12-05-2001, 12:31 AM
Yes, definitely possible.

Let me look up the head volumes, do some math, and get back to you.

qwikenuf
12-07-2001, 01:39 PM
they definitely fit....piston rings need to be slightly bigger...

just curious if anyone done it....bumps compression almost a point!

thinking about it for next spring, but i want some feed back.....

2ndGenTeg
12-07-2001, 02:20 PM
I'd do either the JDM ITR or JDM CTR pistons, for the reasons I stated above. Moly coated, more oil holes, the works. The best is the Endyn, though. Love them rollerwaves!