PDA

View Full Version : Need help replacing my rotors and brake pads!

jsmith
03-18-2003, 10:35 PM
Hey guys,

Well, as you can read from above, I think my rotors are all messed up and must be really worn out because my steering wheel shakes so much when I brake!:mad:

I talked to a friend and he said he changed his rotors himself and it wasn't that difficult. He also got new brake pads just in case. Well the thing is that I am completely new to this so I have no idea what to do or where to begin with!:confused:

I really want to do this by myself and not spend $200 on a shop! Please! I really really would appreciate some advice or any website that can be helpful. Thanks!!!:)

Leets
03-19-2003, 09:27 PM
If you're steering wheel is shaking it's actually more likely that you're wheels need to be balanced. Just pull the wheels off and check them out. If they're missing those little stick on weights, then they need to be rebalanced. While your wheels are off also check the pads and rotor. If you still need to replace the brakes then get new pads and resurface the rotors. You must do both (not one or the other) or your brakes won't work as well. To change the pads and rotor you'll have to first look behind the rotor. You will see one bolt at the bottom of the caliper that holds it to the assembly. Carefully remove that bolt and swing up the caliper to remove the pads. Then reach further around towards the center of the back of the rotor. There you will find two rather large bolts holding on the caliper mounting bracket. Carefully remove those two bolts and move the whole assemby aside. Make sure you don't just let it hang. It needs to be braced up somewhere out of the way as to not put stress on the brake lines... THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT (you don't want to rip your brake lines). Next you will need to get an impact screwdriver (available at any auto parts store) and remove the two screws on the rotor. If the rotor's still on real tight you will need to use two correct size bolts to screw into the other two holes to push out the rotor. Installation is the opposite. Hope that helps.