PDA

View Full Version : Antenna makes horrible grinding noise and does not move in '90 Integra

rody084
03-13-2003, 07:59 PM
I have a power antenna on my 1990 Integra GS and when i first bought the car (used a week ago) the antenna would not move at all, it would just make a HORRIBLE grinding noise and it would not move. I tried dropping some WD-40 on it and making sure that it gets inbetween the separate parts of the antenna and that it is all lubed up. This helped the problem, now the antenna will go all the way up from the bottom position (but still makes the horrible noise for a second after it finishes fully extending) on the way down, at about 8" from reaching the bottom, it gets stuck and makes the horrible grinding noise.
Do you think I should keep dropping WD-40 on it till it fully moves or is there something else that I can do to it?

ebpda9
03-13-2003, 08:04 PM
i think it's the thread inside it.

rody084
03-13-2003, 08:13 PM
which part is the thread inside it? i do not know much about cars... u talking about the gears in the motor?
also, does anyone know how to pry off the whole panel in the back of a 1990 Integra GS in order to get access to the antenna. I tried taking out the screws, but it still wont give.

ebpda9
03-13-2003, 08:28 PM
yeah you need to take the rear panel off too to get the side panels off. i can't exactly remeber but i did it on my brother's car

blackdc2
03-14-2003, 10:05 PM
its called an antenna mast. the part. The way that it works is that the motor retracts and extends a nylon cord that is attatched to the antenna. When the cord breaks, the motor rolls what is left of the cord around in the motor housing making that noise that you are hearing. When it works sometimes the cord is far enough down towards the bottom that the motor can actually grab it and pull it down. And when you turn the radio back on, it just spits the cord back out. What you need to do to fix this is go to honda and get an antenna mast and take the nut on top and unscrew it. Then take out the interior panel, and then remove the motor, unplug it and then remove the outside of the cord housing, take out the remaining peices of the cord. Replace the motor and plug up the motor. Turn your radio on and wait until the motor stops running. Then turn the radio off and feed then antenna into the shaft, turning it until the motor pulls it down. Then replace the nut on top. Or you could just go and pay the dealership to replace it for you.

rody084
03-14-2003, 10:21 PM
i think im going to try to do that myself. the only problem that I have right now is that I have not been able to pry off the rear panels... I took out all the screws that I could find on that side and it will not give at all, i was wondering what it is that I am missing.
also, as a temporary fix, is there a way for me to disconnect the antenna motor, but not the connection to the radio? so that I can still have reception, but not have the antenna try to move and make the horrible noise everytime i turn on my stereo?

ebpda9
03-15-2003, 12:33 AM
yeah but you need to remove the panels. the antenna has 2 wires one for the reception and one for the power. just disconect the power wires.