PDA

View Full Version : Preventative measures against rust?

stellardude
03-06-2003, 09:41 AM
I live in Minnesota, and it the winters the roads get salty. Pretty much every 92-95 civic i've seen (including mine) has a problem with rust that forms right above the bumper by the wheel well in the back of the car. Its basically the part where the metal meets the plastic.
The last owner of my car wasn't very caring and didn't wash it enough during the winter.

My main question is how to prevent this rust from forming, besides washing your car every couple days.
Thanks for any feedback.

The picture below shows the problem area:

ebpda9
03-06-2003, 02:04 PM
that is good only if you will keep the car in a warm place to dry and use warm water. if not you will make it worse

pimpinprelude
03-16-2003, 07:59 PM
well i have never been to Min. but down we have like pepboys and autozone. and in there thay have this acid that u spray on the rust,and the metal that u dont want to rusted. it not only stops the rust that is there,but it keeps it from gettin worse. its not a lot, like 5 dollars a bottle... it is really good stuff. but u have to be careful i was using it on a 65 ford f-100 and i got some on me and it burnt a hole in my skin! good luck and be careful!

blind34_1
03-16-2003, 11:21 PM
I just picked up a can of rustoleum (sp?) clear enamel for my lug nuts..shouild help.

That rust forms because when it rains, the wheels spray water up in that area...hondas are notorious for rusting right there. Id suggest first taking your rear wheels off and checking to see if you already have any early damage. If so, remove the rust using whatever (that acid the guy was talking about, sand it out, use some caulk), and then go buy a can of undercoat. Go at the underside and hope its good enough.

you dont need to worry about the exterior too much, just as long as your paint and clear coat are good.

pimpinprelude
03-17-2003, 05:02 PM
well it doesnt remove it, u still have to scrape it off, the acid just stops it and keeps it form comming back. so before u spray it take all the loose stuff off and then spray it. Otherwise the flakey rusted metal will keep the acid from gettin on the stuff that is eating your car rite now.

ebpda9
03-17-2003, 05:12 PM
cut and weld, then use some herculiner under the wheel wells.