PDA

View Full Version : ATX Question

baco99
01-29-2003, 11:20 AM
Another question for my dad's car is... What is the key hole next to the shifter used for? He has an automatic transmission and sometimes the car will not go into or get out of "Park". He has to take his spare key and put it in the shifter and then move the lever. What could be wrong?

Thnx

2ndGenTeg
01-30-2003, 01:40 AM
That "ignition" switch is broken. It's a security/tow feature- it locks the car in either park or neutral. I would get that switch replaced (or remove it).

ebpda9
01-30-2003, 07:57 AM
i went thru the same problem with my bro's 92 LS. It is the gear selector switch (the one that commands when the lights P, R, N, D etc to light up). right at the end towards the park position there are 2 wires that will sense that the car is in park or not (independent of the p light). sometimes the switch won't close the circuit to allow the interlock and the ignition lock switch to be activated when turning the car on or off. i used some aluminum foil as a temporary fix, but it stopped working for a few days. now i'm in a search for that switch an no one seems to carry it. ;(

baco99
01-30-2003, 09:13 AM
I'll have to look into it with him.

On another level, are there any web sites that detail a conversion from ATX to MTX for this car?

He's wanted an MTX for a while, but doesn't want to buy a new car. So there is a possibility of rebuilding the engine with some upgrades, fixing the hood and switching to MTX provided it's not too difficult/expensive.

Also, is there an LSD manufacturer for Acura MTX trannies?