PDA

View Full Version : tapping in cold

krz2fer
01-28-2003, 12:28 PM
With all the bitter cold weather recently my car usually starts up and has a 'tapping' from the engine until it gets going for a while... My girlfriend's integra does this too. Is this normal or something that's getting old and needs to be replaced?

ebpda9
01-28-2003, 05:52 PM
just a valve adjustament will take care of it.

shadowracer
02-01-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
just a valve adjustament will take care of it.

Just wondering why you keep suggesting a valve adjustment to everyone with the tapping valve problem in the cold? It could be a number of things from old oil, not using an OEM filter, or just damn cold out. Valve adjustments aren't cheap and aren't that straight forward to do. You need to know a number of things such as firing order, crank rotation, and factory specs. Not to mention special tools like feeler gauges and the like. Just wondering not trying to be rude.

ebpda9
02-01-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by shadowracer
Just wondering why you keep suggesting a valve adjustment to everyone with the tapping valve problem in the cold? It could be a number of things from old oil, not using an OEM filter, or just damn cold out. Valve adjustments aren't cheap and aren't that straight forward to do. You need to know a number of things such as firing order, crank rotation, and factory specs. Not to mention special tools like feeler gauges and the like. Just wondering not trying to be rude.

well i had the noise, and it dissapeared after the valve adjustament. and i live in a city where 32 degrees is shorts and t-shirt time. that is the most common problem with hondas. as i said i fixed my car, and my brother's car. i have't heard a thing after the adjustament. i agree with you it could be a number of different things, and it's very hard to tell by not hearing the actual noise.

krz2fer
02-02-2003, 12:03 AM
I think it's too damn cold out. It doesn't make the noise when it isn't insanely bitter out.