PDA

View Full Version : Don't call me rice becuase I am uneducated. ;)

KwikR6
11-08-2001, 12:54 PM
Alright turbo guys. I am really new to the import scene (started may 2001) and I don't really know much about turbo's. I understand how they work sorta and I am reading more and more about it. Thanks to HS and you guys. But what I really need to know is...what does all the numbers mean on a turbo T3, T4, T84252058265HGN3248T??? I don't know and I am konfused. I know you can answer my questions. So that's why I ask. Thanks.

Racing Rice
11-08-2001, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by dereks civic
Alright turbo guys. I am really new to the import scene (started may 2001) and I don't really know much about turbo's. I understand how they work sorta and I am reading more and more about it. Thanks to HS and you guys. But what I really need to know is...what does all the numbers mean on a turbo T3, T4, T84252058265HGN3248T??? I don't know and I am konfused. I know you can answer my questions. So that's why I ask. Thanks.

Thats a damn good question.. but Im going to let the pros answer it..;)

Boosted3g
11-08-2001, 01:44 PM
T3 and T4 are famlies of turbos. They share common parts and other similar characteristics like size. Basically think of them as a series and each series is represented by a different number. Not everything will have a "T" in from of it. For instance my personal favorite is a 60-1, way cool turbo with plenty of go fast potential.

KwikR6
11-08-2001, 01:50 PM
Sooooo basically what your saying is it's kinda like a civic. SI, EX, DX, CX. Each has different things about it, and each one goes faster or slower?

Boosted3g
11-08-2001, 01:54 PM
Well sort of. Each has its own special characteristics just like each of the cars you mentioned but a general statement to say that one series is faster that the other can be proven wrong. It can boil down to trim sizing and housing volumes. A really big turbo can make less power than a smaller turbo if the configuration is not right.

Racing Rice
11-08-2001, 02:39 PM
One thing to remember about turbo size is spooling.. A larger turbo will usually take considerably longer to spool up creating turbo lag. Thats why smaller turbos like the Greddy kit are good for stock applications becuase they dont have much boost lag, which helps with lowend exceleration.

Boosted3g
11-08-2001, 02:52 PM
You guys worry too much about lag. If you are racing you will never experience it at all. Think of lag as a time to gather your thoughts before you rip past your competitor.

Racing Rice
11-09-2001, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Boosted3g
You guys worry too much about lag. If you are racing you will never experience it at all. Think of lag as a time to gather your thoughts before you rip past your competitor.

*L* well your probably right, but when your just driving on the street to much lag can take some of the fun out of driving. Drag racing you may not really worry about it to much cause you usually keep the motor in the higher RPM range anyway.

KwikR6
11-09-2001, 01:26 PM
So if I put a greddy turbo on my b16 when I put it in that will be a good set up is what your saying. Because it will be good for street racing and good for regular driving.

Boosted3g
11-09-2001, 04:03 PM
Im honestly not a fan of the Greddy kit. It seems to work well if you are just wanting a little more than stock. There are many people running only high 13s and ow 14s with it. Plus its more expensive than most kits on the market. One thing it has over the other kits is that it is carb legal at the stock boost level. I would go with a DRAG or Revhard kit unless you have emmissions testing. They both can definantly put down the power when told to and they are a peice of cake to install. If you are in the market drop me a line and I can tell you a guy to call for the best prices around.

KwikR6
11-10-2001, 11:17 AM
Well I'm sure i"ll be on this web site for a while. and When I get to dropping in the engine and then the turbo..I will definately call on you for adivce. Why not greddy? Everyone seem's to hype them up so good?

Boosted3g
11-10-2001, 06:06 PM
Well the Greddy is a very nice kit in some ways. The construction is great and the looks are ***. Plus its probably teh most reliable kit on the market. The only thing that itreally lacks is a big turbocharger. If you are only looking for a nice stereet cruiser and not a street pounder then youll be happy. I personally feel that if you are going to bolt up a turbo to your car then you are looking for maximum performance whick you wil obtain with a larger turbo. Dont ge me wrong the Greddy turbo is very nice adn i dont mean to sound as if I dont like it. Its just that I feel that there are better options out there. I only make a statement like this because i have experience with a lot of turbo kits.

KwikR6
11-11-2001, 08:25 PM
and I appreciate it.

2000_Honda_Si
11-12-2001, 12:24 AM
Hey don't knock 13's that is ****** fast. A stage 3 Supercharged Saleen barely runs 13.5 and that's with a proffessional driver.

Greddy is new age turbo technology. Quieter, legal, and it does the job.

The other kits are for people who are going to drop about 6,000 plus on pure motor work so that you may boost above 20lbs which in turn you will need a new clutch tranny and slicks etc etc, to hold down that power which in turn will make your car illegal to drive on the street. You dont need this humongous turbo.

Lets face it, all Turbo's are not perfect. No one company is the best. It all depends on what you plan to do. The Greddy turbo is perfect for the daily driver looking to put the hurt on alot of cars out there.

I am not defending Greddy, but I am glad now that the kit is carb legal and it does the job for me. It gives me that extra kick my car was missing.

Boosted3g
11-12-2001, 07:31 AM
who says you need a built motor to run 20 psi?

Addict
11-13-2001, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by 2000_Honda_Si
Hey don't knock 13's that is ****** fast. A stage 3 Supercharged Saleen barely runs 13.5 and that's with a proffessional driver.

I don't think he's knockin 13's. He's just stating that if you want to go faster, you need a different setup.

Boosted3g
11-13-2001, 11:10 AM
Exactly, you will some a lot of cars running 13s. Didnt mean to make it sound as if I was ripping on cars that run 13s. Sorry dude

KwikR6
11-13-2001, 11:12 AM
I think a street legal car that runs 13's is pretty damn good. Espically coming out of a 4 cylinder...not a big V8.

MrCLoWnY
11-20-2001, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by Boosted3g
who says you need a built motor to run 20 psi?

hahahah lets not start this.. .hahahaha I personally think that u need to build the motor to run 20psi. But then i have heard crazy stories about people boosting crazy with a thicker headgasket.

2000_Honda_Si
11-30-2001, 11:44 AM
MrClowny there you are. The Greddy TD05-18G is rated at 420lbs, soooooo that is pretty damn good. You just need to build your motor up to boost that high. That would be one fast car.

Racing Rice
11-30-2001, 11:58 AM
Lets not confuse the issue tho.. The Greddy turbo for the SOHC model Civics are only TD40H-15G Turbo, and the TD05-18G is for the SI and Integras.

Addict
11-30-2001, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Lets not confuse the issue tho.. The Greddy turbo for the SOHC model Civics are only TD40H-15G Turbo, and the TD05-18G is for the SI and Integras.

You beat me to it. Different size turbos 2000_Honda_Si.

DRAG Boosted Si
12-09-2001, 05:02 PM
all they stand for is the model of the turbo and size

importboi22
12-20-2001, 09:53 PM
my personal favorite is a t3-super60 or a fawking t72 :)