PDA

View Full Version : stone chip in windshield

Coupe2003
01-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Hi everyone,
Got a quick question on a windshield stone chip. I just got my car a few weeks ago, and I was driving behind a trunk and wouldn't you know it, I got a stone chip on my windshield.

So I took it to the dealer to try to get them to repair it but no luck. So I went to a autoglass shop, and when they tried to repair it, they made the crack worse (it grew a little), and then they sealed.

I think I will try to get the dealer to install a new windshield if the crack grows overtime...

Just wanted to get some people's opinion on the crack... is it normal to get worse upon repair?

And will it grow overtime? If it doesn't is the windshield good to last?

Any reply is cool

ar56529
01-16-2003, 07:07 PM
The same thing happened to me a year ago and when I went to the Honda dealership and they told me the price of the windshield, I decided to repair the crack.

You should go to Pepboys and buy a windshield repair kit. It costs $7 and prevents the crack from expanding. Its easy to repair, takes about 5 minutes to fix it and 30 to dry.

It works fine, better than paying 500+ bucks for a new windshield.

Peace

ar56529
01-16-2003, 07:11 PM
Sorry, I didn't see the part where "they sealed" your windshield.

I sealed mine a year ago and hasn't grow, and I drive a lot.

ebpda9
01-16-2003, 07:45 PM
i've seen a malibu that had the windshoield sealed and the crack got worse and worse. i guess a new windshield, also see if your insurance covbers it

Coupe2003
01-17-2003, 06:19 PM
Cool... thanks for the info guys... So far, the windshield crack hasn't grown. But unfortunately i have to live with the ugly crack right above the dash...

Sucks that it will be there for the rest of the life of the car (if the windshield lasts) especially since I just got the Coupe!

;(

HondaTypeJ
02-10-2003, 03:24 PM
Those suck ass. I had one on my Civic and over time it got worse. I never got to repair it but I have heard those sealants dont help at all. I never used it though...:no:

Turbo_LS_Hatch
02-10-2003, 03:35 PM
It'll probably grow overtime. It's not worth it to fix it right now, just let it get bigger until you can't stand it, then do it. And $500 for a windsheild?!?! I payed $170 to put one in my Integra!! That's with them coming out to my house and replacing it themselves.

Afroney
02-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Well alot of times it depends on how big the chip in the windsheild is. Usually they dont expand, but they look like hell. Ive seen the windshield repair kit sold at Autozone, but not sure how well it works. If you want to go get a new windsheild go to a glass shop, not a dealership, usually the prices arent too bad there (200 bucks.) I have that kind of stuff happen all the time on the interstate. Usually you can call the police if you have a cell phone, and they will pull the gravel throwing truck over, and make them pay for damages. Otherwise you can follow the truck until he stops.