PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Side Windshield Wiper loose, how to tighten?

stellardude
01-15-2003, 02:56 PM
Hey,
I have a 93 Civic EX Coupe. For awhile now, my passenger side windshield wiper has been loose. The base where the arm ataches to the motor moves around quite a bit, and when i drive over 60 mph, the blade lifts off the windshield completely. I was told by my mechanic that the only way to access the motors is to rip apart the dash, tighten and put back together. And with all the labor, it would cost about $500. I wanna save me some money, so have any of you had a similar problem, and how did you fix it?

Thanks for any feedback.

Azkikr111
02-04-2003, 03:25 PM
never had the problem....i suggest you rip off your dash yourself and tighten it down (maybe get a helmes manual 1st) and save all the screws!!!

Djsteals
02-04-2003, 05:42 PM
I have a 94, I'm not positive, but I dont think thats all necessary. I'll take a look at mine later tonight, and let you know.

Also if you dont have one get a helms for you car they always come in handy.

Prophcy0
02-04-2003, 07:49 PM
I know the problem is probably more complicated than this, but have you tried tightening the bolt that secures the wiper to the motor?

armyguy5
02-05-2003, 08:06 PM
i agree with the above post...if your wipers lifting off your car then its a loose wiper arm......i dunno just my 2cents

chris

Turbo_LS_Hatch
02-05-2003, 10:31 PM
Yeah, If the arm itself is loose, just get a 12mm or 14mm(I forget) socket or wrench and tighten it down. About the mechanic saying that, I suggest you find a new one. To pull the wiper motors out, you take off the black plastic piece in between your hood and the windshield, they're RIGHT there. Now go to your mechanic and kick him in the sack, if you've taken your car there quiet a bit, I suggest kicking him more than once.

stellardude
02-06-2003, 12:26 AM
well from what i figure, the 3 or 4 bolts around the motor holding the motor to the frame of the car are loose, not the bolt holding the arm to the motor. How to i go about taking the plastic plate off? i can see little tab things and those black plastic screw cover type things, but is that it? How do you get the tab looking things loose?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated, now since i've posted we've gotten a bunch of snow. :(

Turbo_LS_Hatch
02-06-2003, 03:08 PM
First off, get a small ass flathead screwdriver and get the lil tabs out. The piece(don't remember what it's called) fits snuggly under all the trim and other BS, so carefully pull/pry it out, and everything you need to get to is right down below. Hope that helps.

stellardude
03-05-2003, 08:20 AM
Well i gave in, and i took it to my auto body shop. I guess it was more than what i thought it was. It turned out to be the whole transmission to the passenger side was broken. Broken to the point of nothing but the wiper arm was holding it in place. I got it repaired for about 150 bucks. not too bad. :cool: