PDA

View Full Version : clutch play

ridinlowaccord
01-14-2003, 09:26 AM
hey guys im a newbie to this forum and so far its great!

but today i went to my 'cord and on my way to school i felt alot of play at the top of my clutch that i havent felt in a long time (last time it was like that was before i replaced the stock clutch with a clutchmasters stage II cuz the other one went up) i had to push it almost all the way to the floor to shift!! nomally its no where near as loose as it was today

help please
im freakin' out
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

crashoveride
01-14-2003, 09:49 AM
there is a screw to adjust the amount of freeplay on a clutch pedal (the hight) its near the top of the pedal, looks like a screw, you just move it till theres only about 1 inch of free play.

i had to push it almost all the way to the floor to shift!!

i always push my clutch all the way to the floor....

blind34_1
01-14-2003, 09:52 AM
you should always push the clutch in all the way. It should either be on or off, with minimal slippage. At least thats what I was taught. I guess its how to make a clutch last longer.

If thats not it, then maybe you just need the pedal adjusted. My mechanic said my throw was all off, and that was why it was hard to shift when I was learning. They just chnaged the throw, so there is about an inch or so of play before slipping.

ridinlowaccord
01-14-2003, 10:29 AM
thanks guys
what i meant by having to push it to the floor is that i didnt feel it disengaging
usually while pushing it down i can feel it disengage and i couldnt feel it till much later in the shift where as usually it isnt a problem so thanks for the info ill give it a try

is it normal for it to jsut randomly feel really loose?

blind34_1
01-14-2003, 11:21 AM
ideally it should stay about the same all the time unless a problem arises. like crashoveride said, its prolly just the screw. Thats something you can fix, I think the chiltons manual gives a brief explanation of how to do it.

ChrisCantSkate
01-14-2003, 12:50 PM
i'd say all the way in all the time no matter what, just cause you can shift dosnt mean the clutch is all the way out, you could be smoking the clutch and its wearing.

94_AcCoRd_EX
01-14-2003, 01:23 PM
If it changes release points, and you maybe can "pump it up" to make it feel a little more normal, check the master and slave cylinders for leaks. That happened to me. It would engage at the floor, sometimes higher, etc.

crashoveride
01-14-2003, 04:40 PM
make sure there is fluid in the master cylinder for the clutch(the small one on the right)

ridinlowaccord
01-15-2003, 10:22 AM
all fixed guys thanks

i tightened the screw and that helped but only a little bit

crashoveride was right i needed more clutch fluid i added some, pumped it up for about 15 minutes and now its back to normal

thanks,
ridinlowaccord

ebpda9
01-15-2003, 10:58 AM
i've seen the same problem on a 92 prelude si, but the intake fell from the throttle body.